1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

sep or Alan recovery programma?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by karinabrown, Feb 5, 2016.

1. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi everbody

still a bit new here : but also confusion about : there is SEP (wich I started
    3 days ago) and there is also Alan' recovery programma..why is that?
    what is difference?

thanks
    Karina

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

The Sep is a more digging deep and writing journey about your deepest emotions, its a real digging deep into your SC, Alan program explains a few of the pitfalls and goals very in great detail along with excellent sessions he recored with call in`s.

I am sure you will get a better detail from others from the tms family here I think I explained to a certain degree.

3. karinabrown

Okay that is helpfull : Thanks

4. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

I think it's about your personality. What do I mean by this? SEP is structured Alan's program isn't.
    Structure is too confining for me. But again I stress that's me. Keep in mind SEP works for many!

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Karina,

In terms of why we have two programs, this is for historical reasons. The SEP started back in 2010 when I felt that it would be nice to gather all of the free resources available into an organized program. I went through all of my TMS books and tried to take what looked like the best parts of each. Major sources included the treatment chapters in books by Dr. Sarno, Dr. Schubiner, Dr. Schechter, Dr. Clarke, and Dr. Selfridge. I also had three books on journaling, including one by the leading expert on therapeutic journaling, James Pennebaker.

The TMS Recovery program (AGTRP) started after Alan Gordon had done a number of webinars with us and wanted to tie them all together systematically, making a multimedia program. It's great because it gives you specific tools that you can use to beat TMS and decrease the underlying emotional tension that causes TMS.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but my recommendation would be to do Alan's program first. (It's a little funny because I'm the guy who designed and provided most of the text for the SEP - but that's what I think.) The reason is that while the SEP provides you with a bunch of vital questions via its writing prompts, the TRP actually gives you techniques that you can apply. For example, the SEP might ask you a question like, "the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you?" This is an important thing to think about and develops emotional awareness which is a key skill in being kind to yourself and recognizing how important it is to be mindful about your thoughts.

Fundamentally, the writing prompts in the SEP are just questions like this.

The TRP is valuable in that it also gives you skills - tools that you can use. For example, it teaches you how to construct an evidence sheet, which helps you think rationally about your symptoms.

As you go through the SEP, it can be helpful to have the tools from the AGTRP at your disposal. For example, as you consider the question of the most disheartening thing that a doctor has told you, it can be helpful to know what an evidence sheet is. That way, when people tell you things that are disheartening, you can make an evidence sheet to see that you really don't need to be afraid of the disheartening things.

This is just one example among several. In general, the AGTRP gives you tools that you can apply while you do the journaling in the SEP.

That's why I generally suggest that you do the AGTRP before the SEP. However, in truth, you are welcome to do whatever you think might be most helpful.

Anne Walker likes this.
  6. karinabrown

Hello Forest,

What a detailed answer: Thank you so much for that! Yes after reading a lot : I can see that methodes are different and also work different for people . I will do both. I allready know that is the big question : Many options but wich will help me'? It is a scarry road to travel after trying so much and it is helpful that most people here get that. Can i ask one more question ? Do you really need a tms diagnosis by a tms doctor? I did the whole 'hospital' scene : Nothing found on mri..they do not know why have pain..and i do fit the tms personality profile: Safe to start from that and just decide for myself : This is a good therapy?

Thanks so much Forrest
    Greetings from the Netherlands
    Karina

7. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Karina I believe you've had a check up by your DR and you say nothing found on MRI this says what you need to know. Your Dr confirmed you're not dealing with a physical problem, so there is no need for a TMS Dr to tell you the same thing. The key here is as you say feeling safe to start this journey.