1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 25 Scoliosis story

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Stella, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Stella

Stella Well known member

I read the scoliosis story where the woman had surgery at 17 then back pain for years. I, too, have scoliosis. It was discovered at 15 then spinal surgery when 16. I was in bed for 6 months in a body cast. This was 44 years ago. Dr. Sarno believes scoliosis is caused by TMS.

I have had so many illnesses over the years; scoliosis, low back pain, neck pain, pelvic pain, tailbone pain, heel pain, shin splints, TMJ, asthma, allergies, restless leg, leg cramps, carpal tunnel and more. I would also add to the unexplained list of illnesses dupuytren's contracture which is a hard growth in the palm of my hand (unexplainable) and Haglund's deformity which I have on my heels (unexplainable). But that will be the end of it all.

I now have an answer. I have steps I can take to relieve the pain. The future is bright. I can do this and you can too. I believe I will have to work on this all my life but that is ok. I can do this.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

SandyRae, you are wonderful to share this and inspire us all.
    I'm with you. We all are with you. We're healing together as a family.

3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

SandyRae:

Beautiful line here. Keep it in a journal, write it on sticky notes and post them in your house, and never forget - your own words. This is awesome.

BG

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

Gosh, I forgot to mention a horrible symptom I have had all my life... depression. I have so much shame from having depression. I have told a total of 2 people my entire life not including shrinks. I thought "I am an intelligent person. Why can't I figure this out. What is wrong with me?" Talk about being my most severest critic.

My husband had an experience with a depressed woman. He said "She is crazy. Why can't she get her life together?" I had never told him about me having problems with depression. I felt more shame and continued to beat myself up. He knows now. I told him probably 20 years ago but I never never discuss it. Medication never helped.

I am NOT depressed now.... wow. Life looks so much brighter. It is amazing. Thank you Dr. john Sarno.

veronica73 likes this.
  5. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Wow. Sarno also believes depression is a TMS-equivalent.

6. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

SandyRae:

I can only imagine what it feels like to emerge from "the hole" as we call it around here. My husband has suffered from depression on and off his entire life. He's doing well now - but his depression stems from biological issues. It runs in his family. I spent three years trying to convince him to leave the house before we found the right doctor.

There are two kinds of depression, situational and biological. It sounds like yours might be situational. This is excellent news that you have found a way out of your physical issues (through Dr. Sarno) and your depression went out the window because of it. But I caution you (not trying to rain on your parade at all) that this monster could return if your psych doc thinks it's biological.

You are a real trooper to stick it out with a husband who doesn't get it nor wants to. I used to say to my husband "Just snap out of it" which we both knew was impossible. It was our running joke since humor got us through our ugly time.

I stuck it out with my husband because I read up on what was wrong with him and to this day deal directly with his docs. But he has also had psychotic episodes in the past, which are rare in most people with depression.

This is a really huge milestone for you and I understand what this means. Congrats and may the light continue to shine on your life.

BG

7. Stella

Stella Well known member

Thanks for your input Beach-girl. I have no doubt having depression was caused by my TMS Symptions. As I became more familiar with my personality traits I can now see numerous examples all my life of where a negative thought about myself turned into depression. I would feel that dark heavy cloud pass slowly through my mind.

For example, when I would make a presentation to some professionals I would watch all their body language to see if they were happy with what I was saying. Of course, I couldn't change the content of my presentation if they were unhappy but I would immediately feel depressed because someone was not happy with what I said. I would have made a fabulous presentation but one person being unhappy with me just did me in. I would go back to my office thinking "Gosh, I did a great job but why do I feel like crap?" It happened in my mind within a few seconds of the observation. In the past being a people pleaser or disappointing others has had a strangle hold on me. It has controlled so much of my life.

I will have to be very vigilant as I move forward.

8. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

a little late to this thread but new to tmswiki, not TMS! just doing a search on others with scoliosis. Lifelong back pain sufferer with numerous diagnosis, scoliosis being one. Found Sarno once in the 90's and had some wonderful years as it was me to a tee but rediscovering again, funny that my mind let it go once doctors had me believing surgery was totally necessary. Also struggle with depression forever and all personality traits of a TMS person. On Day 2 on SEP program and I also LOVE your quote which I'm borrowing! thank you, hope your well ... Brant

Stella likes this.
  9. Stella

Stella Well known member

Good for you for starting the SEP. You will succeed.

I have recently started attending Co-dependents Anonymous meetings in my city. Of course, I have all the personality traits. The handout has been very helpful. I have also been talking with a psychologist from the Pain Psychology center because I have recently made some very difficult but important decisions to get out of a situation that has sucked the life out of me. What a journey. Stella