1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sciatica cured but now post nasal drip

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Paulita, May 9, 2017.

1. Paulita

Paulita New Member

Hello All,

I'm new here although I've been reading all the books that I can on TMS. I have successfully cured sciatica and lower back pain and I'm back running again. Sometimes after a hard run, I get some knee pain. I talk to my mind or brain and ask it to stop doing what it's doing. It never ceases to amaze me that the pain disappears.

However, I have had bad post nasal drip with an associated chronic cough for several months now (since my cure in fact). Could it be TMS (my doc can't help with it)? And if so, does anyone have ideas on how I could deal with it? As it's not pain, just discomfort, I'm not sure how to apply the TMS theories. Thanks - I'm glad to have found you.

TrustIt likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations on recovery from TMS pain syndromes! You are likely experiencing the symptom imperative with the post nasal drip. It is one of the TMS equivalents that I have, too, and is common.

All TMS is treated the same way, no matter how the symptoms manifest. Keep doing what you've been doing. But mostly don't worry about it or let it become a distraction. Take an antihistamine if need be. Sometimes the TMS equivalents are harder to recover from, so you may want to look at adding some journaling or doing the SEP. Mine is much better than it used to be, but still present somewhat. I agree that talking to one's brain works well. As the symptoms seem to be due to an overactive immune system, I tell my brain there is no need to freak out over some pollen. It won't hurt me and I am safe and healthy. Find the words that work for you.

Good luck and keep running......

TrustIt and Paulita like this.
  3. Paulita

Paulita New Member

Thanks you so much Ellen. It helps to hear that you've experienced it too. I will definitely try journalling. I do a little already but it's mostly about adding to my Reservoir of Rage insights. I'm also doing some meditation on the pain - the pain management pack of the Headspace app is good. What is SEP? Running - I love it and I have to pinch myself that i rarely get pain - even sore muscles. Amazing!

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

SEP is the Structured Education Program, available for free on this site. Also, check out Alan Gordon's Recovery Program, also available here for free. Both wonderful resources if you haven't checked them out yet.