1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Scared

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by cougar9000, Oct 27, 2014.

1. cougar9000

cougar9000 New Member

Hello,
    I'm having some weakness in both wrists, and in one of my pinky fingers. I have some real bad anxiety because I scared myself into thinking i have ALS. I can't get in to see a neurologist for months, so I have to sweat it out.

I don't have pain, I just have weakness. It isn't real weakness, as I'm not dropping things, but holding an iPhone feels heavy, or holding paper even feels a little heavy. So it's perceived weakness. Still, I can't shake my ALS theory.

I've lost 7 pounds in about 3 days because I'm too nauseous to eat, I'm so worried. I started to tell myself that the weakness was in my head, or that it was an RSI injury -- and then the weakness seems to subside a little and I'll feel fatigue in other parts of my arm, like my elbow or the other side of my forearm.

I haven't gotten to the point where I'm totally convinced that TMS is the issue, but I'm here -- and I'm totally open to it.

2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi and welcome, cougar. It's very obvious you are scaring the $£@%@ out of yourself. First off, have you had your symptoms checked out by a doctor? If not, this could be your first port of call to rule out anything serious. ALS and other serious conditions have been a preoccupation for many a forum member but in the majority of cases once the person recognised that it was their anxiety (fear) that was driving their symptoms, they were able to take a more objective view.

How did you find out about the forum and TMS? Have you read any books by Dr John Sarno? I would say reading one of his books is a good jumping off point to gain knowledge about TMS and for some his books are the be all and end all. I would also recommend Alan Gordon's TMS recovery program: http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program. I especially like Alan's suggestion to keep an Evidence Sheet to help convince ourselves that our symptoms are benign.

I don't believe anyone can be 100% sure they have TMS at first, even if they say they are. It does take time, a different amount of time for everyone and it's important not to set limits like "if I don't get any relief by next week I will know there is something seriously wrong!!!" You will get there when you get there.

This is a very supportive forum where you will find yourself in good company.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle