1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Scared and in pain..

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hammock22, Oct 28, 2017.

1. hammock22

hammock22 Newcomer

I am def. not good at even admitting I am in pain. Writing this post does not come easy for me. Been reading Dr Sarno's book and I can sense the reality in what TMS is all about.
    My flare up this time is pain 24/7 and I seem un able to stop thinking about it/fearing it and fearing more pain...vicious cycle I know. I will keep reading Dr Sarno's book and the posts on this forum.Does anyone have a suggestion as to anything over the counter that has helped them w the pain? Tylenol/lidocaine or menthol patches...supplements? I know it is treating the symptom but having less pain would be profoundly healing for my Spirit and my mind and sense of well being..

2. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

Try a warm pad for your lower back pain while lying in bed. Then when your back relaxes and you feel better then try some icy cream like mentolated pain creams or even an ice pack. If you can buy a tens machine it will also help greatly and is better than analgesics. Be aware that these are placebos to the root of the problem. I suffered from low back pain for several years, among other things. While you are doing this try to do some relaxation exercises and calm your mind and it will make all the difference.

plum likes this.
  3. hammock22

hammock22 Newcomer

thank you for your time...means alot to me...it is hard to be in pain and be alone..reaching out on this support group is a big step for me. Hard to admit I need "help" or even that I am feeling pain. I will try the things oyu mentioned. I do know they will treat the symptoms not the root but still having some relief will def relax me and my mind and body too I am sure.. I do deep breathing..and am getting into Dr Sarno's ideas. I get the gest of it all..just somehow it feels to me I must be my own counselor...re repressed emotions etc...(I cannot afford to see a TMS counselor in person) I have read that many people are free from pain only by gaining acceptance of TMS etc...learning and knowing it is of the mind and not the body,,,and do not need to do any deep counseling.You are now pain free? Because of Dr Sarno's books? If so, I am glad for you.

4. JoeHealingTms

I have lowered by pains by would say 80 to 90% . I have been pain free for periods, but there are things that I need to get into to get total relieve all the time that most of them I know what they are and have maybe been a little lazy of not going there. What you are getting with Sarno books is the informational and mechanism part. Finish the book and if you can try to get the audio version, so you put it before you go to bed and fall asleep hearing it. It will help reach your subconscious more deeply also. Also follow the 2 programs available here in this forum to get to full health. Each person case is totally different, so dont expect yours to be exactly like someone else. Beside the deep breathing, try to practice clearing your mind of thoughs and get into a deeper relaxation. There are breathing specific exercises in the programs that you can follow to view your pain from a safe stance and that will lower your anxiety, which is the thing that is making your pain feel worst. There is a lot of supportive people in this group, so hang out there and start the program and you will be enroute to your healing in no time. Have a good night and dont be afraid to reach out for others. If you are human you need help, like all of us do.

plum likes this.
  5. hammock22

hammock22 Newcomer

thank you Joe very much for your kind message. It actually helps just to "talk" w someone who has been thru this pain and is dealing with it..what 2 programs are you talking about? I def will be reaching out..I notice that some posts have tons of views but view replies
    How long did it take you to get to 80-90%?
    Again thank you
    Rick

6. JoeHealingTms

Pain Recovery Program by Alan and the Structured Educational Program. Well, the how long really depends on each individual. I had Sarno books and other resources from like 2 years ago, and had read it but not really applied it fully. I applied some concepst and gave me temporary relief, but then I would go on without really believing or applying the complete program. A few months I sat down and put together everything I had and really dig into in and internalize it, and changes started to happen. When I got permanent changes for 2 weeks I spend more time on it and started journaling, relaxation etc and got a complete week with almost no pain at all. So it will all depend of your acceptance of the diagnosis and your own involvement.

plum likes this.
  7. hammock22

hammock22 Newcomer

thank you.yes that all makes sense...I have read and see youtube videos whaere many people just by reading the book and believing the overall premise was enough for all the pain to go away...w out journaling...examining emotions etc.
    I know everyone is different for sure.
    thank you for your time very much
    Rick