1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

SARNO IN MY DREAMS-Is this a sign of progress?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lala, Oct 5, 2012.

?

Have you ever dreamt about Sarno's TMS theories? Was it a sign that you were making progress?

1. Yes, I have had dreams about Sarno's theories and it helped me heal/make progress.

33.3%
  2. No, I have never dreamed about Sarno's theories.

66.7%
  3. Yes, I have had dreams about Sarno's theories, but it didn't seem to lead to any progress.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lala

Lala Well known member

Last night, after having an afternoon when I felt like I had made a major breakthrough in understanding my repressed emotions, I dreamt of Sarno's theories. I dreamt that I was talking with one of my best friends. She told me that her fiance was experiencing back pain and I went on to give her a whole informative lecture about TMS and Sarno's theories. Does the fact that I am dreaming about these ideas mean that my unconscious is starting to really get it?

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I'm big on dreams. Whenever I'm learning something new and important it starts coming up in my dreams and then I know I'm integrating the information, even on a subconscious level. I've also had dreams about explaining TMS or dreams about feeling pain/anxiety and telling myself it's TMS.

I think it's a good sign!

Lala likes this.
  3. Lala

Lala Well known member

thanks veronica...intuitively it feels like a good sign...i remember when i was learning spanish and i had a dream in spanish...it meant i had crossed over a threshhold in my understanding of the language...I feel like its the same thing with TMS.

4. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

I am a big fan of Wayne Dwyer. He talks about the importance if thinking about what you want in life the few minutes before drifting off to sleep so that the subconsious will process that information and help make it a reality.

Susan

Lala likes this.
  5. Shanshu Vampyr

Shanshu Vampyr Well known member

I have had a "few" TMS dreams since getting TMS. One was a dream about visiting Dr. Schechter and him and I talking over his diagnosis of TMS in me, and how he wanted to enter me into a leather-bound book of TMS "success stories". Needless to say, I was happy the next morning. As I progress through therapy, I am making strides, but a week ago I had a dream where I was thinking that therapy wasn't "working", and for over a week I've been suffering a brand new and distressing symptom.

So I think dreams are relevant, but not linearly related to reality. (Otherwise I'd be completely symptom free and healed after the Schecter dream). Clearly I'm having a 100% psychosomatic/"hysterical"/stress symptom right now, so maybe there is a reason my subconscious is thinking that therapy isn't "helping".

The work continues. :)

Lala likes this.
  6. Shanshu Vampyr

(I do not want to mention the symptom I'm having now because 1. it'll put my focus back on it and 2. I don't want to induce it in anyone else. But it's fairly ick. You can read about it in my other thread if you want).

7. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hope you are feeling better soon Shanshu. I like the dream about being in the success stories book :)

8. Shanshu Vampyr

Still having the symptom. I told Alan Gordon the other day that the learning curve for every brand new symptom seems steep--like I'm starting from scratch with the fear, worry, etc.--and this is a symptom I've never ever had before. Yet for some reason, I think my perspective on it radically shifted to one of acceptance last night. As much as I've never dealt with this particular symptom before, something inside me said, "This will pass." And I'm more or less able to look beyond it as a symbol of further emotional work to be done--without pressuring myself to find out the emotional antecedents that brought it about or figure out "the emotion" or "the thought" that caused it, so as to go away as quickly as possible. [The symptom] isn't THAT bad. I can live with it.

So hey, I suppose this means that I'm on the healing part of the learning curve already. And that's good news. :)

9. Shanshu Vampyr

@ Lala: I also think that the dream you had can be taken in a positive light but be careful how you cast the "meaning" of each dream the next morning. Just because I had a dream that therapy isn't working doesn't mean that the therapy isn't working.

Indeed, perhaps I'm not so much having the symptom because the therapy isn't working, which is how you can straightforwardly interpret the week I'm having; but perhaps the thought that therapy isn't working produced the symptom. We can control our thoughts.