1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Rsi struggle (is it tms?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mr zig, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Mr zig

Mr zig Newcomer

Hello everyone :D

I just signed up to the forum so that I can gain a bit more insight into tms and to share my story in dealing with rsi, I also hope that I am able to get some help and advice on dealing with these conditions.

My story -

I am 27 years old, in May of 2017 I began a new career in the transportation industry, i had landed my dream job and I was proud that I managed to get selected for it, I had just left my previous job of 7 years working for my family business which was very stressful for me pretty much the entire time that I was there. Relieved to be away from working for family and for a large company instead I immediately began to feel a sense of happiness I hadn’t felt since I could remember. This didn’t last long.

My job required 1 year of training and studying which exited me, it was like being back at school except I enjoyed it this time as it was something that interested me. A few months into my course I began to feel a strange pain in my hands, I went to a physiotherapist and he couldn’t find anything wrong and sent me on my way. This pain eventually went away. A few more months later I completed my training and began doing my job, which involved pushing and pulling levers for 9 hours a day. I began to feel a pain in my wrists which started off gradual and got worse as time went on. I began to panic as my job relies on using my hands and wrists. A few More months after pushing through the pain I developed constant tingling in both hands which I have now had for the last year along with the pain.

I went to another physio who examined me and she told me “you don’t have carpal tunnel or tendinitis and you can’t get diagnosed with rsi, because it’s an umbrella term and you won’t cause permanent damage by carrying on with your job, just do some stretches and go to the gym and you’ll be ok”. Deep down I knew something was wrong but I took her advice and carried on for a few more months working through the pain.

Frustrated by the ongoing pain I decided to pay to go to a private hand surgeon, he diagnosed me with carpal tunnel and tendinitis purely from me describing my symptoms. Scared of losing my job I then paid a large amount of money to have a carpal tunnel release ASAP on my left hand in November 2018, so far it hasn’t made any difference. January 2019 the hand surgeon passed me on to a rheumatologist as he was confused why my symptoms were not going away despite 3 months off of work. The rheumatologist believes I have work related upper limb disorder (WRULD) RSI, we are waiting for MRI and nerve conduction tests as of February 2019 but he believes these won’t show any abormatlies.

So now I am on the verge of loosing my job and I’m getting pretty desperate, I’ve been given a diagnosis which could affect the rest of my working life and I feel like I’m unemployable because of it. I have turned to TMS because I’ve heard of the success stories and I would like to give it a try as I have nothing left to loose now. Rsi has had a massive impact on my relationship, job and mental stability, and being diagnosed with it in this day and age is torture.

If anybody could give me some advice and tell me whether they think I could Have a good case for TMS I would be very grateful.

Symptoms and personality -

- constant tingling in my fingers
    - bilateral Wrist pain
    - pain at the base of the thumb

- perfectionist and goodist
    - doesn’t like confrontation
    - career driven and motivated
    -diagnosed with anxiety and depression since 2010
    - easily stressed and worried

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

2. deafheaven

deafheaven Peer Supporter

Definitely TMS in my opionion. Numbness/tingling/pins and needles sensation is characteristic of TMS. The MRI should give you a clear indication that nothing is wrong.

I've had the same sensation in various parts of my body for years (Scalp, face, lips, teeth). And it was all TMS. Blood flow slightly deprived will cause this. Think of it like when you sleep on your side and your arm goes numb, that's all it is.

Don't give up on your job. We've all been there, considering quitting our jobs. But it's pointless. I would start by reading Sarno's/Ozanich's books. TMS recovery is a journey and you'll learn so much on your way

3. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

Hi there!
    Looks like a TMS for me. I recoverd firm RSI/TMS few years ago. I got symptoms when I was almost done with dental assisting school and even though I didn’t work for many months I wasn’t pain free for almost a year.
    Read my successful story.

To cheer you up I fully recovered and work successfully for some time. At some point I wasn’t able to drive a car of open the door.

I did structured educational program available here at the forum.

Hope it helps.
    Take care!