1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Relieved but confused about headaches

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Brightman, Dec 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Brightman

Brightman New Member

I have had a whole week free of migraines by following the TMS advice and feel this is a really life changing moment. I have read "Unlearn your pain", "Pain free for life" and followed Alan Gordon's program and feel that I am starting to learn to spot the early signs of putting too much pressure on myself and how to live a more mindful, relaxed way of being.

What I have noticed, however is how stiff my neck is when I wake up and this was always the time that the migraines would come on. I am a bit confused as to whether this is a real problem that my brain has misinterpreted as a threat or just more TMS. I would be interested if anyone else has something similar.
    Maybe the old pain thoughts are trying to creep back in?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Brightman,

I think you're probably experiencing the "symptom imperative," which you're probably familiar with: that since there is a "need for pain" or an alarm going off which needs to be "heard" then a new symptom arises when the original symptom subsides.

I would use this understanding, and treat it as TMS with whatever means you're finding successful. Know that it needs no more attention than that.

Andy B