1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Recovery Time?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ash86, Sep 20, 2014.

1. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Hi all, looking for some support today. I first read Sarno's book the end of November 2013. I saw Dr. Schubiner in February and finally got the courage to stop all physical treatments in June. I have been journaling and reading about TMS. My pain has improved... but I keep thinking it should be gone by now. The fact that I am not pain free yet, has me worried that I may have to feel like this forever. Have any of you experienced this? Are there cases that took longer than a year, but were able to eventually heal?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Ash86, try to be patient in becoming totally pain free. Dr. Sarno says it takes longer for some people than others. It took me several months to get over back pain through TMS journaling. I learned that my boyhood was a lot more stress-producing than I thought. Steve Ozanich read my post about it and said I had a "perfect storm" for TMS. I learned to understand my parents and older brother better, and realized they had their own TMS problems. Then I was able to forgive them (mentally), because they had passed away before I learned about TMS and dealing with my repressed emotions. Forgiving helped a lot in my healing.

You may still have some repressed emotions to deal with. Become at peace with them and your symptoms will go away. Keep up the good fight!

ash86 likes this.
  3. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Walt, thank you for the advice! You always have a kind word.

4. blake

blake Well known member

Hi ash86,

So sorry that you're still having pain. I started in June and am still not completely pain free yet either. What has changed, however, is that the pain no longer rules my life. I have had enough little successes to know that it is just a matter of time. I am convinced that you will become pain free in time, just as I will. Like Walt says, could be more repressed emotions to look at. It's important to be kind and patient with yourself, especially if you're a goodist and perfectionist like me.

I found that the structured program, which I finished recently, helped me get in touch with repressed emotions from the past. Now I am able to tackle how I repress emotion in the here and now. For example, I pretend even to myself that I am not hurt and angry if someone says something I consider hurtful. I'm sure that this is another piece of this complicated puzzle that is me.
    best of luck on your healing journey!
    Blake

Ellen and ash86 like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Ash,

It is hard not to monitor your progress, but if you continue to monitor it the symptoms will continue. I have been there and still do it at times, I wanted to heal quickly and when I didn't I would get worried.

It's all part of the process, it's almost as if you are putting pressure on yourself to heal in a certain timeframe. Let go and know that everything is coming to you in its own time. It probably took a while to get like you are so don't beat yourself up when things are not going the way you think they should. Give yourself some compassion and be proud of how far you have come.

This is a life long journey and you will heal. Faith and perseverance go a long way. Wishing you the best of luck. We are what we believe.

Ryan

ash86 and Ellen like this.
  6. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Thank you Blake and Ryan. That was exactly the encouragement that I needed to hear! :)