1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Recovery or Structured Ed program first?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Barbinlr, May 6, 2022.

1. Barbinlr

Barbinlr Newcomer

I am a little confused. Not sure where I should start here. Which program, the Recovery Program or the Structured Educational Program should be done first? Thanks for your help

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

You can take your choice.
    There are differences. The PRT program is very much geared towards doubt and fear primarily. It is the basis for Allan Gordon’s book The Way Out.
    The SEP program is much more along the lines of Dr. Schubiners work - a little less about fear, and more centered with Sarno’s books. More self discovery via journalling. A lot more reading (much of the reading uses the PRT content).
    No matter what you choose, realize that some reading, listening and activities are long. You can break these up. It’s recommended to do about an hr. of this work per day. Some of the lessons, reading, listening were taking me hours.. so I started to break up the days.
    I did the PRT program first myself, as fear and many tms-y personality traits are covered. However I felt the need to go deeper and to have a way to make myself journal (which, you don’t need to if you really hate it) so I am now doing the SEP. You also don’t need to do both programs.
    Basically each program uses different methods to help you through self discovery. The most important thing is to pick one program, stick with it and see what you like about it. After you finish the program you can continue using the skills you like for your own continued healing and self-care/self-discovery.
    Enjoy your self-discovery!

3. Barbinlr

Barbinlr Newcomer

Thank you again for your response. I have looked at both programs and like both but will probably go with SEP since I just read the book by Sarno. I actually like journaling. And if I feel the need I may try both. Right now I know that the little work I have done has helped me tremendously. My IC pain has diminished over 50%. I am very encouraged and appreciate help from those like you who’ve been there. Take care. Barbara