1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Recognizing emotions

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Zoeinoz, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Zoeinoz

Zoeinoz New Member

I've just been looking at Day 8 of the structured program and the question to ponder related to recognizing the emotion related to specific pain. I think I'm pretty successful at identifying the emotions I experienced during particular experiences and my pain is certainly improving, however, aside from when I journal about the loss of my son, I don't really physically feel the emotions when I'm journaling.

Does anyone experience this? Is it enough to identify what I must have felt without feeling it in the present?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Zoe. It is definitely enough to identify the emotions and not necessarily feel them in the present. The main thing is that the subconscious "get it," that you recognize the emotional causes of your pain. I'm glad that your pain level is going down. Keep practicing deep breathing, mindfulness meditation (living in the present), and finding ways to enjoy each day. Keep as active and positive as you can.

3. Zoeinoz

Zoeinoz New Member

Thanks Walt. You always have great advice. With years comes wisdom! ☺I am finding it easier to stay positive as I progress. Mindfulness and meditation definitely help with the process. I'm glad I'm on the right track.

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Zoe, if you have time, try to incorporate loving kindness meditation into your routine, it's an extension of mindfulness. I made a post on the subject subject several days ago. I think most of us Tmsers are so hard on ourselves we don't stop to love, or show our inner child compassion. Finally, praise yourself for all of the successes you've achieved this far and don't focuss on any of the short falls.

Be blessed.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  5. Stella

Stella Well known member

I remembering reading years ago that depression was anger turned inward. This made sense to me at the time. I just didn't know how to get it out.

Over the years I cam recall maybe 3 times of awareness of anger. Anger was not an emotion that was acceptable as I grew up. So I stuffed it inside. I had no awareness that I did this over the years.

I would have terrible back pain, acid reflux, neck pain and many other illnesses from stuffing anger, guilt, fear and other Elrod inside me.

This program has been amazing in creating awareness of who I am and what I do and think. I now have the tools to manage myself. You will too. And you will succeed.

6. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

I intermittently feel the emotion when journaling but it's a struggle to hang onto it. I think it's worth the exploration though so I keep trying. I'm so sorry hear about the loss you have experienced.

As with many people on this site, your strength is humbling and inspiring to me.

Crissy

7. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Stella. I love the visual I get with the sentiment that depression is anger turned inwards. I can relate to that for sure.