1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Really intense shoulder pain this morning

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jayMck, Oct 30, 2015.

1. jayMck

jayMck New Member

After a good night's sleep last night, I was working through Day 14 of the structured program this morning when the pain in my shoulder (from a pinched nerve in my neck) began to return. Usually it bothers me while sleeping - and wakes me up. But it's been really intense for the last 2 or 3 hours.

I'm off work today, with not a lot I need to do, so I'm puttering around the house. But right now, this pain is all I can think about. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Why is it attacking me this way now?

Jay

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jay. Just try to relax today, practice deep breathing, mindful meditation (living in the present). Keep your mind focused on what you are doing puttering around the house. That keeps the mind from wandering.

I like this Youtube video: "Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking." Michael Sealey has a very soothing voice as he talks about focusing on mindfulness of breathing in the present moment. It's very calming anytime but especially before bedtime.

donavanf likes this.
  3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Jay,

Please keep in mind the pinched nerve is a misdiagnosis for TMS. Do what Walt suggested and keep moving!

IrishSceptic likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

5. jayMck

jayMck New Member

Thanks, guys. Distraction really was the key.

It got markedly better when I met my wife for pizza, as we sat at the booth, having a glass of wine and reading Trival Pursuit cards (at each table at Mio's Pizza).

I am definitely an over-thinker/worrier. I will check out the link above, Walt.

Sometimes I feel like the cowardly lion... I do believe in TMS, I do believe in TMS...but then the pain dials up and I freak out with thoughts of surgery and that it's the only alternative. I know in my head it isn't. I just need to get this in my heart.

Jay

6. FredAmir

That's great Jay.

Write this episode down and post it where you see it every day s a reminder.

Next time this happens you know exactly what's happening and you can overcome fears, doubts, and worries quickly.

Cheers!

IrishSceptic likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jay. For me, surgery is always the last thing I think I would do for any pain.
    A cancer surgeon wanted to open my neck because of a tiny pimple. I insisted on first a culture be taken.
    He resisted strongly until I insisted. The culture was taken and it was nothing but a tiny water pimple that went away.

I also was opened up for a bowel obstruction that was not necessary.

So no wonder I am leery about surgery.

8. FredAmir

BTW, A review of 137 studies published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, July 6, 2010, concluded, “…effectiveness and the harms of various operative and nonoperative treatments for rotator cuff tears is limited and inconclusive.”

So no need to eve consider surgery!

Stay informed. Stay well.