1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Ready for more

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Needtoski, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Needtoski

Needtoski New Member

I'm not new to this concept, I've looked at this website in passing, have been doing curable for almost a year, I'm in the middle of "the way out" , have looked into pain reprocessing therapy but have not started, listened to podcasts, read recovery stories, practice some of the techniques I've heard Alan Gordon talk about... So I do believe in TMS but I'm not yet convinced that ALL my symptoms are TMS. I did have an ankle injury and it's mostly healed but I can still feel my peroneal tendon sublux and snap, the joint feels wonky, stiff, this is actually not that painful anymore but I do think it's a structural problem, I'm still rehabbing it. Additionally, I'm struggling with my CRPS DX. I see these as separate issues even though the ankle injury is what initiated the CRPS. While I do know that so many of my symptoms come from my brain and I have already improved by at least 80%, I still hold concern that at some level I have some nerve damage, autoimmune or some other process that is driving the CRPS and thus it will remain with me.

ssxl4000 likes this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hello and welcome! I am glad you have improved so much already. My only advice at this point is to try not to focus on whether your pain completely goes away . . . the first goal is to make your symptoms no longer dominate your life and thoughts. If you get there, the pain should take care of itself.

Also, with CRPS, the little bit I have read on it says that the pain is usually more severe than the initial injury warrants . . . that is a giant, flashing sign that TMS is likely involved. Good luck!

3. Needtoski

Needtoski New Member

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

4. sciencelover

sciencelover New Member

Hello Needtoski. Regarding whether something is TMS or not: I often find it hard to tell. One time I thought something was TMS and it probably was not, which put me at some risk. On the other hand, if something is TMS, it is almost a necessity to recognized it as TMS, if you want it to go away. Going through this program may help you decide if the pain you have is from TMS or not.

5. sciencelover

sciencelover New Member

I wanted to add this about determining whether something is TMS: Here is something from tmswiki.org that addresses that:

https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Q%26A:_How_do_I_tell_the_difference_between_an_injury_(or_overuse)_and_TMS%3F (Q&A: How do I tell the difference between an injury (or overuse) and TMS?)

Not discussed in that article are triggers. If the pain or discomfort intensifies when a trigger happens, then it might be TMS. A trigger would be any event. For example if you feel more under stress than usual and you notice the pain gets worse, then the stress might be a trigger. Another example: If it starts hurting at 10 o'clock every night, then the time might be a trigger. Another example: If it hurts standing still, but does not hurt to walk, then standing still might be a trigger. In the past when I had TMS back pain, stress, sitting, or standing still were triggers for me. None of these things should have caused me back pain, but did. That indicted that I might have TMS. I did.

Needtoski likes this.