1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Question With Doctor Examine

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Kalo, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Hi All,

I have a question!

For those who don't know my situation, I posted a couple of days ago under "HELP/SCARED

So, I have been listening to Mindbody Prescription!

I have been experiencing Sciatica Nerve Pain on my right leg. This came about with stress and it has been two months since the onset.

Monday, I bit the bullet and went to see a new MD who is a DO! I told him the amount of stress I have been under that prior to the sciatic pain, I had grown pain that lasted 6 months, got a CT and it was normal, then two months later Trigemenial Neuralagia, got Brain MRI and everything normal and it went away in less than two days...Then Sciatica nerve replaced it with tons of stress.

His reply was he felt that my Sciatic nerve was caused from STRESS. He gave me a test which he told me to bend my head forward and raise my two legs as I did this he pressed to see my strength or if it would trigger anything. My strength was normal and no pain..

He told me to get back to the gym and try not to stress....

At first I walked away feeling great meaning wow this new Doctor didn't blame structure problems and he said STRESS was my culprit.

But they hypochondria in me has kicked in again. I start thinking what if he is wrong..

I guess my questions would be would this examine clear me of proceeding with TMS!

The hypochondria in me keeps thinking maybe there is a tumor pressing somewhere....

But, I have heard that those are rare!

I don't want to for more testing because God know in less then a year I have CT scan on my groin and MRI on my brain, plus it is getting costly.

Thanks,

Kalo

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

If you're worried you may have a tumor, go get an MRI. Otherwise, in the back of your mind, you will continue being distracted by the structural, and the pain will serve it's purpose as a TMS defense mechanism, protecting you from dealing with the emotional issues head-on.

3. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Hi TT!

What you said is true, but, I am just wondering if I am just being to much of a TMS worrier. I am certain if the doctor thought I needed an MRI he would of said so...

I can live with the fact of knowing I mite have stenosis, arthritis, or degeneration, herniation...That doesn't bother me, but, I have to think the worst!

Kalo

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

You are being too much of a worrier, doctors today practice defensive medicine giving every test in the book hoping to prevent malpractice law suits in case they missed something. This helps to drive up the costs of medical care. If you do have a tumor, your troubles are over, you can sue his insurance company, collect a tidy fortune and be on the beach for life. Of course you'll have to give some of this your attorney, he has to make payments on the yacht.

5. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

LOL, Yeah, I switched Doctors because the last doctor just loved to order up test....CT scan on my groin and MRI on brain...I said, well do I need them, and he would say, well, if you want one?? Geez...This new MD was tough and told me go back to the gym, LOL

Tennis Tom likes this.
  6. PamD

PamD Peer Supporter

Kalo, TMS can be a persistent little... guy. I try to think of it as a person on the team who has the best intentions but the totally wrong approach, pat him on the head and give him a new project. I think the other have said it. Work your TMS "program" by re reading Dr. Sarno and trying some of the affirmations. Thank your brain for being a great distractor/ protector and get on with getting on. Move a bit and check in here for support like you have been doing. I think this is good news that doctors are beginning to acknowledge the impact of stress.

7. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Thanks PamD,

I really need the support and I am thankful for this AWESOME website! I feel so alone! I am caregiving for my poor Mom who has dementia. Last year, my Dad passed, and I think I got PSTD from it. I was never one to run to the doctor for every little ache and pain. It was a year since my Dad passed and all of a sudden things just seem to tumble! Groin pain, Trigemenial Neuralgia and now Sciatica! I just want to be well to take care of my Mom the best I can! See the goodist in me, LOL!

Thanks!

Kalo

Kathleen likes this.
  8. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Ive been reading and studying this forever. My tms started when I was about 21, and I believe TMS is simply from extreme emotional self abuse and the body, as it does when we physically abuse it with unhealthy vices like alcohol, drugs, food etc, will be adversely affected by it...i.e, pain, over weight, disease etc etc. Emotional and physical abuse cause physical pain.
    Not as distraction, just a natural consequence of the abuse.
    I could be mistaken.
    Kathleen

9. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Hi Kathleen,

Hmmm, I am not sure, cause Dr. Sarno said that in the early days Dr. Alder, who study with Freud thought the mindbody process to be a punishment, but Dr. Sarno did not think it as "self abuse" but more of a protection strategy to protect us from rage.

I believe that TMS pain is a way to let us know to think physcological (can't spell) meaning if we have the type of personality that he describes ie "do good, people pleasing, etc. it is hard on the pshcye, ie child primitive. We cause internal stress on the body...

I like your analogy you could be right!

I think the important thing is the 100 percent belief in TMS to reverse and to think how we do repress our feelings from day to day! Btw, I had TMS when I was younger to! I had stomach problems, tension headaches, weekness from anxiety etc.

Kalo

BruceMC, Kathleen and Tennis Tom like this.
  10. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I been down your same Rd .....what I read on your map is follow the road to tms and follow the direction don't turn back don't get more test don't take any drugs proceed to working out, finding calm, pick so flowers do what you want and love.

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Kalo. I know how stressful it can be to care for an elderly mother. I knocked myself out for two years but she was just too much. She was impossible to please. My sister tried before me, and gave up, and my older brother never tried at all.

We try and do as much as we can, but don't feel hard on yourself if you can't do more.

My mom didn't have dimentia, which can be an extra hard thing for you to deal with. Try to distract yourself doing and thinking things that give you pleasure. I find many helpful distractions on Youtube.

12. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Thanks Boston Redsox,......Thank you for giving me the confidence to follow TMS road. It is sometime hard! For me, I got addicted to getting "test done" to make sure it is TMS! Since my Father's death and having to care give to my Mom and in one year I have CT scan of my groin and MRI of my brain and lots of blood work...All, THANK GOD came back CLEAN!!! It's the anxiety in me that makes the pain worst and my friggin mind that inner bully trying to scare me...I love this forum and all of you are giving me the confidence I need!

Hi Walt, and thanks for your response as well! Before joining this website I have read many of your post of wisdom! I really appreciate your advise as well! The thing is my Mom isn't difficult! I am just not used to being "on" all the time to help someone....Remember her pills, making her breakfast, lunch, and dinner, taking her to doctors appointment, and bathing her, etc....It really makes one spent! Of course I am hard on myself...The inner bully in me thinks I am horrible for complaining...I don't have time for myself at times...

But the hardest thing with TMS is rolling out of bed every morning when the symptons hit hard and making sure my Mom has breakfast, lunch and is all set before I leave for a hour and half drive into the city for a part time job...It's not easy at all....

To be honest I am angry, I know this, but, the problem for me isn't anger it is living in the past and the future in my head too much!!! I need to be more mindful...Ugh old habits are so hard to break!!!

Again, thanks to everyone's reply and I am thankful for this forum!

Kalo

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Kathleen likes this.
  13. Boston Redsox

MRI , CT scans are just more poison entering your body, you have been cleared don't be afraid to move on.

You are stronger than you think embrass the pain take it with you and live eventually the pain will hate what you become and it will leave

14. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

You are right MRI, and CT scans are more poison...But the Inner Bully says, you had then done for the groin (CT scan) and the brain (MRI) now you need it for your back....I am trying not to listen to it....Thanks for yoru help Boston Redsox!

Kalo

Boston Redsox likes this.
  15. Boston Redsox

Don't.... tms throws us curve balls everyday to put doubt in our mind and is excellent at doing it. Don't give in to it , the brain loves to screw with us.

Don't give it to the doubt or the pain. Don't fill your river of rage with anymore fuel.

16. Boston Redsox

Today I had a visit of incredible heel pain in my foot I laughed at it and slammed my heel down so hard it should of broke .....it was my way of saying fuck you then I did not give it another thought

Melb1971 likes this.
  17. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Awesome advise Boston Redsox..

Also, what you did about slamming your heel down....that is GREAT, tell TMS to "F" off.....In the Great Pain Deception, Steve Ozanich did the same thing!!! You're on the right track...You and all of us will conquer TMS!!!

Kalo

18. Boston Redsox

That's where i got it from.....to me Steve O book is the bible of tms healing. All other books are on the lower shelf

19. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

20. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Let me clarify my thread. I didn't mean that you are "punished" because of your self emotional abuse, it's just a natural consequence of the body being under emotional stress which naturally causes a physical hormonal imbalance and pain is the natural consequence. Thoughts and emotions cause a physical affect in the body just like being nervous causes you to have butterflies or an ulcer if continued chronically.
    I believe our powerful spirit body wants to evolve and gradually progress in a Happy Medium mode of operation, emotionally mentally physically and spiritually and TIME and if we advanced too much too soon in one area more than the others, I brlieve that causes a stress in our system and as a result we get pain to notify us of this imbalance. If you remain dependent in your life for fear of being independant, I believe this also causes a chronic stress in your body and another pain results.

Boston Redsox and Tennis Tom like this.