1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Question about medication

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kitkatie124, Feb 19, 2016.

1. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

im a little bit confused on the role of medications and tms. If something like elavil or lyrica helps does that show evidence toward tms or against it ? Or it doesn't matter ? I know that this recovery program does not suggest or agree with medications. Thanks for any feedback :)

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

There may be many informed opinions and experiences here about meds, but bottom line is "communicate with your physician" before stopping anything.

3. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

Oh no I'm not on any medication I was just curious on how that type of medication effects this condition

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

In my opinion medications do sometimes help with the symptoms of TMS. However, medications don't treat the underlying cause, while TMS therapy does. The issue of whether or not taking medication while also engaging in TMS therapy is helpful or postpones recovery is often debated on this Forum. I think each person is different in this regard.

5. Renee

Renee Well known member

I've just failed at my 3rd attempt to taper off of Cymbalta which I was taking for anxiety. I started taking it in 2006 and I guess I have been one of the lucky ones in that it never made me feel high like benzos or that I had even taken anything. It just made me feel more like myself. I just wanted to see if I could get along without it since I don't like taking drugs of any kind, I don't even like taking aspirin. But this past week I have been so ill and feeling so strange. It has really been scary.

Cymbalta is notorious for being hard to withdraw from so I am not recommending it, but in my case I'm just going to accept that I have to take it for the rest of my life. I still believe anxiety is TMS but I live alone and cannot afford to be so sick from withdrawal that I can't take care of myself. I've read that there can be a protracted withdrawal that can last years and at my age I just can't imagine living that way. Every time I've tried meditating it actually makes me more anxious, and guided imagery doesn't work for me because all the imagining of pleasant surroundings does nothing for me because I know I'm not there if that makes any sense. And some of the people who talk on the recordings make me giggle with the way they sound. God bless everyone who can be helped by these things, I think that is so wonderful and I am envious.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, KitKatie. I'm glad you are not on any medication. Most of that does not relieve pain, or at least not for long. It's better to find the emotional reasons why the pain is there. To discover that, I suggest you start the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site. It helped me to heal from severe back pain when I journaled in the SEProgram and realized my pain was emotional, from anger and other feelings when my parents divorced when I was seven, and from guilt when I had to give up being caretaker for my aged mother. I just had to give up after two years because she just could not be pleased and it was driving me crazy.

There are many natural remedies for pain and anxiety. Google about them and watch Youtube videos on them. Deep breathing helps a lot, and living in the present and not the past or future. What works for me better than medication for pain or anxiety is a cup of hot milk... even better than wine.

kitkatie124 likes this.
  7. danny1943

danny1943 New Member

The thing about meditation is that you commit to sitting for a certain length of time-for instance 15 or 20 minutes. Just watch your breath during this time. Don't worry if your mind is going crazy just try to sit there for the length of time you committed to. True meditation teaches you how to meditate. I guarantee that if you commit to meditation it will teach you how to meditate. Even if you think you're not meditating after some time you will realize you feel different. As the saying goes: meditation is not what you think. Try it.

Renee likes this.
  8. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

I get nervous and frustrated when I meditate too I'm going to keep trying

9. danny1943

danny1943 New Member

It doesn't matter if you get nervous and frustrated. Just the fact that you are sitting and trying is what matters. Don't judge whether it's a good or bad meditation. Just sit and watch your breath come in and go out for a short time. Don't quit and get up when you think it's not working or that you just can't get it right. You can't stop your mind from thinking all sorts of thoughts, it's too strong. But you can stay in a sitting position for a short time, your mind can't stop you from doing that. Keep it up.

kitkatie124 likes this.