1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Psychological Thinking

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by COgirl05, Dec 21, 2014.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

I learned about TMS nearly a year ago and saw myself on every page of the book "Healing Back Pain." I knew that was me to a tee that Sarno was describing. I have gotten pain free several times over the course of a year and my back pain was mostly gone for several months and even when it was there, it was minimal. The TMS went to my knee for a little while because I was running more and preoccupied my thinking for a couple weeks/months there. Since November, my pain has returned to my back on several occasions creating pain that was as bad as before I learned about TMS. It went away fairly quickly both episodes, but I'm still battling the fear aspect. Every time I had a twinge, I think that it's back. I know 100% that it's psychological and I'm going through the structured learning program, but I fear that I won't be able to figure out psychologically what's bothering me to make the pain diminish. How do I overcome that fear?

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi COgirl05! Great to have you here and great that you've already learned so much about TMS. But wait! It gets better! You've successfully treated TMS already! Wahoo! Move to the head of the class… dancea

Then there's the fear. Oh yeah. I don't know that we ever overcome it. I like to think of it more as learning to dance with the fear. I think Alan Gordon talks about changing our relationship with the fear so it doesn't hold sway over us. (Apologies to Alan if this totally misspoken!)

Mindfulness meditations have helped me a lot to slow down the chattering and anxious monkey mind. Fear is all in our heads….we imagine dark futures with catastrophes around every corner. (What if I END UP IN A WHEELCHAIR?!?!?!?:jawdrop:) Gads, if I had a nickel for every fatal illness I diagnosed from bodily twinges I'd be a wealthy woman. (I would wake up many nights with something hurting. One night, I diagnosed a rare osteosarcoma in my foot and planned my funeral. The funeral was very lovely by the way. )

Jon Kabat Zin's "Full Catastrophe Living" is chock full of help in this department. I have the audio version, read by the author, and it is very encouraging.

One of my heavily dogeared books that I keep on my nightstand is the old classic, "How to Quit Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie. It's an oldie but the wisdom within is timeless.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

mike2014 likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, North Star. Yes, fear and catastrophizing are the big ones. The writers you mentioned give some great and encouraging advice.
    I too often think the worst, but then have to remind myself that's only my Inner Bully scaring me. Usually I can laugh it off.

Merry ho! ho!

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

You don't have to figure out what's bothering you, that would be pretty rare to need to do that in order to heal. In general, as a TMSer, everything is bothering you. It's all about the whys not the whats. Figure out why you need pain, not what is causing it. That means looking inward to see your life and trying to understand what has taken place that has made you react to life as you do. The "whats" are easy, they're always events that can't be taken back, only let go. Why is more important.

Change how you react.

Asking how to not fear is impossible for one person to teach another. It comes through a series of personal revelations that produce light. Fear is a chosen method of survival, the opposing state of love. You won't fear any more when you feel loved and connected. That's the short answer to overcoming fear. When you no longer feel connected you fear. So it's a separation anxiety thing.

Zumbafan and Tennis Tom like this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Merry Christmas

Shirley likes this.