1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Prostatitis vs. Enlarged Prostate: which is TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by avik, Mar 16, 2016.

1. avik

avik Well known member

Or are both?

Have had quite the good year tackling my TMS and resolving underlying emotional issues but have recently realized that my frequent urination/enlarged prostate (which ive had for over ten years now), has never been resolved.

Like all other TMS equivs with me, I have been poked and prodded regarding the above issues (every exploratory medical procedure you can imagine) and nothing has ever been found.

I know Prostatitis is considered TMS but what about an enlarged prostate (otherwise known as BPH)?

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

3. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

My question would be have you had an ultrasound that actually showed your prostate is enlarged. Otherwise you are right. In most cases prostatitis does not have an infection cause. It often is TMS. I know that you already stated that. But just wondered if you actually ever had testing done to show the volume of your prostate is actually increased.

4. avik

avik Well known member

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I actually had a MRI done on my hip, and they noticed the enlarged prostate then.
    Ive had this issue for 10+ years and have had a couple of ultrasounds in the past. They showed an enlraged prostate too.

That said, never any signs of infection or other issues. I had a cystoscopy done too and nothing came up.

I am a poster child for TMS and have experienced pretty much every equivalent known so I wonder hwo this is the one thing that is not TMS...

5. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

I will say this, an enlarged prostate is not something that causes pain. I know how you feel though. I probably have the female version of prostatitis....or at least the symptoms of it.

6. avik

avik Well known member

I would say it more of a very uncomfortable pressure than pain...

7. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

It's kind of a tough one. Because as you know BPH can actually cause some of these symptoms. However is your prostate actually large enough that any health care provider have thought it could be the culprit for your symptoms. Has anyone gone so far as to actually suggest resecting it. I do not like to suggest something might not be TMS. Especially when we know we have the personality that is prone to it. Anything is possible, but in your picture you just look far too young to have already developed a prostate that large to be seriously affecting your urinary system. We know there are some great physicians and some who like to suggest procedures. Has anyone you actually trust felt that the prostate size could account for this?

8. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Avik,

When I suddenly started having BPH symptoms I did some research into this topic. Here's the introduction to my book, Rapid Recovery from Enlarged Prostate Symptoms.

"Rapid recovery from enlarged prostate symptoms?! Sounds too good to be true, but it is true. I know because I have experienced this phenomenon firsthand. In fact, I eliminated my symptoms overnight, utilizing techniques used by Olympic athletes.

This book is about empowering you to take charge and conquer your symptoms. It is based on the latest studies, published in peer-reviewed medical journals and also on the Harvard Medical School website. It is about how our daily experiences and life events can aggravate the symptoms of an enlarged prostate or even cause the development of the symptoms. This book clearly demonstrates how this understanding, combined with the Rapid Recovery plan, can help you eliminate your symptoms rapidly.

In the United Sates today, more than eight million men over the age of 50 experience benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) symptoms. If you are one of the eight million or so men with BPH symptoms, you might be wondering how the information contained in this book can help you.

I do not make any wild promises here. I do, however, know that the concepts and strategies mentioned in this book have helped thousands of people—including Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa and journalist John Stossel—recover from various conditions, especially muscle tension and pain.

How can rapid recovery from muscle tension and pain eliminate enlarged prostate symptoms? Well, you see, the prostate is made of two kinds of cells: glandular cells (which produce the prostatic fluid) and smooth muscle cells. The smooth muscle contracts to push the prostatic fluid into the urethra during ejaculation. When the prostate muscle becomes tense and squeezes on the urethra, men can experience a variety of symptoms related to urination, such as dribbling or even retention of the urine.

In the same way that the Rapid Recovery plan can eliminate muscle tension in the back and neck, it can eliminate tension in the prostate muscle and cause it to release its squeeze on the urethra. This release eliminates the BPH symptoms. It’s that simple.

In fact, alpha blocker medications—which include Flomax and are generally used for hypertension—do just that. They help the tense prostate muscle relax, and symptoms are reduced or eliminated.

In addition to the Rapid Recovery plan in this book, I will discuss facts your doctors might not tell you.

1. Did you know that some men with benign enlarged prostate have no symptoms at all?

2. Did you know that, according to Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, some 30 percent of surgeries for BPH are useless because it is discovered during surgery that the prostate was not pressing on the urethra and the symptoms were caused by something other than an enlarged prostate?

Can you imagine going through surgery, only to find out that you were misdiagnosed and continue to have symptoms after the surgery?

The good news is that, depending on the cause of your symptoms, the information in this book may help you avoid such misdiagnosis. In addition to recovering rapidly, you may recover from other tension-caused disorders and enjoy an overall improvement in your health.

I first designed and implemented my Rapid Recovery plan to deal with chronic pain in my back, neck, shoulder, knee, and foot. I also recovered rapidly from pain and numbness in my legs, arms, and hands, as well as from gastritis and hay fever. Amazingly enough, even my eyesight improved so much that I no longer needed reading glasses! (To learn more, please see appendix A.)

So at this point you may be wondering what you can expect from the pages that follow.

Chapter 1: I will tell you how my symptoms began and what made me consider the mind-body connection.

Chapter 2: I will explain the steps to designing my Rapid Recovery plan and why applying mental techniques used by Olympic athletes and high achievers can be effective.

Chapter 3: You will discover how I was able to eliminate my BPH symptoms overnight and how you can, too!

Chapter 4: In this chapter, you will learn more facts about the steps involved in the Rapid Recovery plan. You will design and implement your own Rapid Recovery plan.

Chapter 5: This chapter will answer frequently asked questions.

Chapter 6: Could your diet be causing your symptoms? Is it possible to prevent enlargement of the prostate through diet? I will answer these questions and discuss relevant research.

Chapter 7: This chapter gives you strategies to help prevent the BPH symptoms and stay well.

I should mention here that increased awareness of the mind-body connection has made a tremendous difference in my health and the health of my readers. In addition to eliminating your BPH symptoms, you may also enjoy many of these benefits:

1. Require fewer doctor visits.

2. Undergo fewer tests and procedures.

3. Face less of a chance of improper diagnoses and treatments.

4. Endure fewer frustrations and anxieties from dealing with the medical system.

5. Reduce or eliminate your need for medications.

6. Save precious time and a great deal of expense.

7. Harness your mind’s power and abilities for better health.

8. Aid and utilize your body’s own healing system.

9. Feel a greater sense of confidence in dealing with your health problems.

10. Enjoy better health and a more enjoyable life because of it.

Now please close your eyes and take a deep breath. Set a clear intention in your heart and in your mind that every page you read and every step you take from this point on will quickly lead you to good health."

And here's how it started:

"Drip, Drip, Drip!

I woke up in the middle of the night with a strong urge to empty my bladder. I rushed to the bathroom, relieved myself, and returned to bed—only to feel the strong urge again and rush to the bathroom a second time.

This had never happened to me before. Occasionally, I had woken up in the middle of the night to urinate and then gone right back to sleep, but I had never felt an urgent need to empty my bladder twice. The next day, I was fine. I had no sudden urge to empty my bladder during the day.

However, at night the same thing happened again, and I had to rush to the bathroom to empty my bladder twice—except I could not urinate well. The urine was coming out in drips, no matter how hard I tried. Even in the morning, my first urine came out in drips. I was seriously worried. I knew these were some of the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. But why this sudden onset? Could it have something to do with my age? I was 51 years old at the time.

Thank God, I was fine the rest of the day. All day, I was trying to figure out why I had suddenly developed some of the symptoms of an enlarged prostate and what I could do about it.

Something that had stuck in my mind from many years earlier was a news report regarding a study of two groups of men with prostate enlargement, also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). In this study, one group of men was given a placebo (a sugar pill) while the other was given a medication to relieve the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.

The symptoms of the men given the placebo improved as much as the symptoms of the ones taking the medication, which meant that just believing the sugar pill was going to work relieved the symptoms. So I knew that there was definitely a way to relieve the symptoms using the mind-body connection.

I had already had many successes overcoming a number of symptoms and conditions by employing the mind-body connection and applying techniques used by Olympic athletes. I had managed to rapidly recover from back, neck, shoulder, knee, and foot pain; pain and numbness in my legs, arms, and hands; gastritis; and even hay fever.

So when it came to dealing with BPH symptoms, I searched the Internet for studies on treating BPH by using the mind-body connection and a possible relationship between BPH symptoms and intense negative emotions, such as anger, rage, anxiety, or frustration.

I discovered a pioneering study in Psychosomatic Medicine on the effects of intense negative emotions on the prostate: “Higher lifetime stress was associated with lower prostate volumes and residual urine volumes. By contrast, high recent stress and hostility were associated with greater residual urine. Stress and hostility were associated with objective measures of urologic functioning among men with BPH. Results highlight the need for increased attention in research and clinical settings toward associations between psychological factors and urologic disease.”

A follow-up study in Urology drew this conclusion: “These findings contribute to growing data suggesting that stress conditions could be associated with the development or aggravation of prostatic disease.”[ii]

It is clear that recent stress and hostility could be associated not just with the aggravation of BPH symptoms but also with its very “development.” Interestingly, you can have an enlarged prostate, even a very large one, and have no symptoms at all. According to webmd.com, “The amount of prostate enlargement is not always related to the severity of the symptoms. Some men with only slight enlargement have serious symptoms, and some men with a great deal of enlargement have few symptoms. Your symptoms may become worse during cold weather or as a result of physical or emotional stress.”[iii] (Emphasis added)

Eureka! Now I knew why I had suddenly developed some of the symptoms associated with an enlarged prostate."

Hope this helped.

Take care,

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  9. avik

avik Well known member

Fred-thanks for the post. Im going to read the book.

Were you ever tested for an enlarged prostate?

Did you find you had to apply different mind-body "techniques" to combat the BPH, relative to what you had done for all of your other TMS equivalents?

10. FredAmir

Q: Were you ever tested for an enlarged prostate?
    A: Symptoms resolve rapidly so no need for any tests. And you can have an enlarged prostate and no symptoms.

Q: Did you find you had to apply different mind-body "techniques" to combat the BPH, relative to what you had done for all of your other TMS equivalents?
    A: Exact same techniques worked wonderfully because in all TMS cases when you communicate directly to your subconscious what you want to see happen it will respond quickly. That is what my strategies do quite effectively. I explain in detail these strategies in my Rapid Recovery workshop this Wednesday.

11. avik

avik Well known member

Ive developed a sharp pain in my left testicle...last night.
    Have you experienced or heard anything like this related to prostatitis/TMS?

12. FredAmir

Hi Avik,

If it is TMS, the sharp pain could possibly be your subconscious realizing you are about to overcome your urination issue and giving you something else to worry about.

Certainly no harm in being checked by a doctor.

Take care,

13. jcacciat

jcacciat Peer Supporter

Avik, I want to try to clarify something. The term "prostatitis" a misnomer. Almost no one diagnosed with prostatitis has an inflamed or infected prostate, and this is a classic and long-standing error in the urology world. Almost everyone with this diagnosis has a hypertonic pelvic floor. Tight, sore, trigger-pointed muscles in the levator ani group, the perineal muscles, sometimes the glutes, piriformis, obturator internus, even the abs and psoas. Another term that has taken hold is Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (CPPS), which I view as total TMS. Testicular pain can be caused by a tight cremaster muscle. The problem is a lack of blood flow to these muscles and associated nerves. Restore the blood flow and you solve the problem. And yes, testicular pain is common in men with CPPS/TMS. I have experience with all of the above and have done a ton of research. There is a book called "A Headache in the Pelvis" that helps explain some of this, but the recommended treatment protocol does not follow the Sarno model because it involves pelvic floor PT. PT can help some, but it won't solve the problem in the long run. Personally, I think pelvic TMS is particularly insidious because it is so difficult to direct one's attention away from pain in that area. But it is possible and I am doing it.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  14. Anisha_d87

Anisha_d87 Peer Supporter

Dear fred
    This is such a coincedence! I literally just left a comment on your blog, came onto this site seen aviks post and you have commented! Anyway great work and hope you are well :) i agree with your comment about a headache in the pelvis. It relies a lot on the internal massages hmm

15. FredAmir

Thanks Anisha. The credit goes to Jcacciat for those comments!

16. CarboNeVo

CarboNeVo Well known member

FredAmir hello fred, does your book apply for chronic pelvic pain and prostatitis?

17. FredAmir

Yes, of course. Read the story of a particle physicist who recovered from protatitis in the testimonial section of fredamir.com.

18. Tennis Tom

How apropos, I just had to go to the ER for "Urinary Retention", not being able to go. DX'ed by the urologist as BPH. Real pain, hoping and hopping for morphine on arrival but they had "ambulances" and took a while to get to me--"They wish they had known how much in pain I was"--next time I'll make a point of going up to the nurse's desk in my backless/buttless gown and tell them--didn't know I was allowed to--now I know. Sent on my merry way with a catheter bag glued to my right leg--kinda' interferes with my tennis and swimming--stayed at home for a couple of days doing Western meditation--which is staying at home with the flu, or a catheter bag strapped to your leg. More to follow. Catheter bag was very real, got to remove it myself after two days, told the urologist I was handy.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  19. FredAmir

Oh no! Did you have any BPH symptoms before this or it was a sudden onset?

20. Tennis Tom

Just the normal ones that come with aging, I'm 68. Would take a Flomax occasionally for a long plane or car ride. I also thought psychologically about what my Rahe-Holmes stressors are that could have triggered or contributed to it. Felt good about the allopathic care I received in the ER and the follow-up visit with the urologist. He relieved my worries by saying my prostrate was not too enlarged, no bacterial infection, and a new RX to shrink the prostrate, Finasteride--or what I'm calling it, pardon the expression, "fine-ass-to-ride"--don't snitch to Forest that I said that please. I would have had to wear the catheter bag for a week, because the uros were slammed due to surgeries. I wheedled my way in to the uro's office for a follow-up, and swam a little that day and got back to normal day to day functioning; played three hours of tennis each day since. So back to normal, now have an emergency RX, and know the drill now--"getting old is not for sissies".

Thanks for your concern Fred, yours was the next book I read after discovering Dr. Sarno. It helped hearing it from a fellow sufferer civilian.

Cheers,
    tt