1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Progress

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by veronica73, Mar 29, 2012.

1. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I'm feeling a lot better in the last few weeks.

Today I decided to French braid my hair for the first time in a long time...I used to worry that wearing my hair up or back was a headache trigger. And I remember when I went to see a neurologist one of the questions on the intake form was "do you ever avoid hats or certain hairstyles?"--that pretty much legitimized this concern for me.

But...I've had the braid in for the whole day and I feel just fine.

It was a little hard taking a picture of the back of my own head but here it is: frenchbraid.jpg

:) Veronica

Linnea and Forest like this.
  2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Beautiful Veronica! And congrats!

BG

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

How in the world can wearing your hair pinned back in certain 'style' cause you to have headaches? Or if you wear this hat or that hat? I can only think that in the free-association process that conditions and programs the TMS pain response that the sensations in your scalp of wearing your hair a certain way or putting on a certain hat are functioning as psychological 'triggers'. But Veronica you've taken a brave first step to challenging and breaking those programmed responses that have become habits linked in your body-mind. Congrats and good luck!

4. veronica73

Thanks, everyone.

5. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Good for you, Veronica! I too had certain beliefs about what caused my migraines such as going into shops that sold scented candles and incense. On several occassions I walked into one of these shops and within seconds had a migraine so I avoided them. If I was with a friend I would tell them I'd wait outside because the strong scents would make me Ill. What a load of tosh. Now I boldly and defiantly go into any shop I want and no longer get these instant migraines.

Bawbee likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Lovely! My hair won't do that :(

My belief was that getting a smart phone would make my neck hurt more and increase my dizziness. I was also avoiding beading and knitting, which I had started to learn, because I was convinced they were bad for my neck. Since last fall, I've been knitting, I've been beading, and in November I got a fabulous smart phone that I may be addicted to :D

And yb reminded me about fluorescent lights in stores! They made me disoriented and dizzy! But not anymore!

Anyway, that's great, Veronica -and exciting, isn't it?!

Jan

7. veronica73

You don't have to have long hair to do a French braid but (and this is kind of gross) it helps if your hair is a little dirty or you put a lot of product in it.

Funny you mention knitting--that was one of the first things I gave up because I felt like it was bothering my neck and triggering headaches. I've thought about going back to it again just to prove to myself I can do it which I am sure I can!

Beach-Girl likes this.
  8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes you can! You go, girl! I had a knitting and Super Bowl party this year. It was a hoot :)

That's my problem - I wash my hair too much, LOL!