1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 31 professional relationships

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ryan79, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Ryan79

Ryan79 Peer Supporter

How are your professional relationships right now?

In day 30 I alluded to my professional relationships not being great with an optical company that is next door. The previous manager and I worked together for about 8 years before her staying home. We had a great relationship. The current manager would like me to answer every question she has about her diabetes. I don't mind discussing her diabetes in relation to her eyes but sometimes the questions get out of hand. Questions that are private and meant for her PCP.

When I came out of school I opted for corporate instead of private practice optometry. In our state corporate optometry is frowned upon, and looked as a sell out. Professional conferences are always high stress when other optometrists want to talk and ask about the practice I work for. If you answer you work next door to a Walmart optical they'll shun you and look for someone else to chat with. Although opening my own private practice seems like a possibility I don't think I want the added stress.

Has the program had any affect on your career?

This program has allowed me to reorganize my thoughts and analyze my work situation. I've contemplated leaving the profession or trying to join a private practice with another doctor. The program has made me think differently about the way I diagnosis certain conditions. Floaters, some dry eye cases, twitchy eyelids, and headaches. Headaches in my opinion have little eye involvement although some cases may. It'd be interesting if I recommended journaling to patients for their headaches as a form of treatment. Working in conjunction with their PCP to rule out any major disease processes.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ryan. I hope you do look into possibly joining a private optometrist practice with a doctor. You shouldn't have to become involved in your nestdoor optical company neighbor's diabetes. Try to discourage her from troubling you with it, telling her that is for a doctor.