1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Preoccupation about activities

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Rubineo, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Rubineo

Rubineo New Member

Hello again!

Answering the questions for day 3 I would like to remark first of all that I never stopped activities completely. From the beginning of my pain on I kept running once a week on Sundays – between 15 and 30 minutes. I was always afraid that I would overdo it and that to much exercise would increase my symptoms and the pain. I stopped the running activities due to knee pain in 2013 and restarted them after having read Sarno´s book the second time in 2014. The knee pain has improved dramatically since then.

Last year I restarted real physical workout 3-4 times a week in addition to my running activities although I still had pain in my knees.

When was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity? On Monday and also yesterday.

What was this activity? On Monday Krav Maga self-defense training for 1,5 hours – yesterday running for 20 minutes along a lovely lake.

How did it make you feel physically and emotionally? During the activities I felt more or less good. There were moments when I was really enthusiastic but also moments of fear and preoccupation.

Physically: During the KM training I had some problems with tingling in my leg and weakness but from minute to minute that gets less during the training. Perhaps because I have to be focussed in order not to get hurt by someone and cannot waste my time thinking about symptoms. Also during running I feel fine in general – but there it is the opposite way. The longer I run the more problems I experience concerning my leg and the more I get preoccupied.

Emotionally: Running along a small lake in the sunshine together with my wife – what more shall I say. That is one side of the medal. From the moment on I recognize the tingling and the weakness I really start getting fear and preoccupation about this symptom. The KM training is different. For me it is a possibility to on focus my rage and anger and to “work it out”. Everyone who already did such a kind of self-defense training will perhaps understand what I´m talking about. After the training on monday I was really preoccupied about two things: Did I overdo it because I was really exhausted? Is the weakness a serious symptom? Is that kind of training increasing my symptoms and is my body to weak for that? By the way that´s something I feel almost every time before and after the training.

If it is has been a while since you last exercised, why? I exercise regularly every week – that´s not the problem. But I really miss exercising with a “good feeling”. At latest after having exercised I get preoccupied – which in the end feeds my TMS.

Chris

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Rubineo, I think you're doing great. Exercising and running. Wow!
    Steve Ozanich says to ignore any pain and I agree.
    Be glad that you are so active, despite any pain.

But have you done much about discovering any repressed emotions that caused your pain
    in the first place? The TMS will ask you to journal about it. To me, journaling helped the most
    to heal my back pain. Boyhood emotions of anger and insecurity after my parents divorced
    when I was seven came finally to the surface and my pain went away.

3. Rubineo

Rubineo New Member

Hello Walt!

I started journaling and honestly I discovered a lot of childhood emotions and also recent angers and fears. But I´m not really sure in which way I should deal with them. Let´s say I learned already a lot about my conditioned reactions to external events and also reactions to body sensations like pain, tingling or numbness. But I cannot see up to now in which way this will or can help me in the end.

I´m still more or less at the beginning.

Chris

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Chris. I think everyone looks at their childhood and if they find reasons to be angry or unhappy about those years, they handle
    them in different ways comfortable to themselves. In my case, as I said, in journaling I discovered that my back pain was because
    I had been repressing years of anger and feelings of insecurity when my parents divorced when I was seven. Journaling led me to putting myself in their shoes and I realized they had TMS pain of their own, caused by childhood and lifelong problems, mainly financial. Mom had bad migraine headaches and my father lots of back pain. Once I realized they had TMS, it led me to better understanding them and why they divorced, and I was able to forgive them. Forgiving led to my back pain going away.

So maybe look into your childhood emotions with a view toward understanding the people involved and perhaps learn as I did
    that they could be forgiven.

On the other hand, Dr. Sarno says we don't even have to solve the problem causing us TMS pain. We can heal just by
    recognizing what the problem is.