1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

PPD/TMS happens whenever I start a new diet/weightloss plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by xanax26, May 24, 2014.

1. xanax26

xanax26 New Member

Hello! I am just wondering if there are other people like me who gets ill - get a lot of TMS symptoms or TMS equivalents whenever I plan or start a new diet or weight loss plan.

For years I wanted to lose weight and since I am a typical TMSer type of person, after a few weeks of starting the plan I get all sorts of symptoms- lump in my throat, back and right leg pain with pins and needles, sore throat, sinusitis, gerd, vertigo etc. So no weight loss happens. Got bigger as a result.

I am reading about the psychological aspects of TMS but would like to hear if there's someone who experiences it as well.

Thanks for all of your time!

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Poor self-image and low self-esteem are two big underlying factors behind TMS symptoms and equivalents. When you begin dieting, you're attempting to change your self-image and that might demand symptoms to distract you from what's bugging you deep inside. General speculation I know, but just an approximate guess about why this is happening to you.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  3. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

I am curious what it is like for you when you are not dieting, or not successfully following a diet. I know for me I am thinking about it a lot, and beating myself up on daily basis for not being able to loose weight. In this sense it does effectively serve as a distraction. I don't have to dig too deep to know why I am dissatisfied with myself! I have also noticed I tend to use food to soothe myself when I am feeling anxious, or in the evenings when I am tired and want some comfort. I do feel like it is connected to the TMS, anxiety and what's going on with me emotionally.

xanax26 likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

It makes perfect sense to me now that I have some understanding of the TMS symptom imperative. If your mindbody perceives a need for a distraction, it will create one. I finally rid myself of TMS chronic pain, only to have TMS equivalents of insomnia, depression, and allergies flare up.

5. xanax26

xanax26 New Member

Basically it's the same with me too. The beating myself up for not losing weight and stuff. Also feeling so distressed about starting the diet but not seeing results right away, then getting really discouraged and eat everything in sight afterwards. I realised that it's really TMS when your brain is so constantly fed with the 'idea' and the fear that if you start dieting you will get ill. I've been reading so much about TMS and this wiki really made a difference because I got to know about conditioning and also the outcome independence bit.

I can say that I am really a TMSer because for years I've been having benign symptoms. Like right now I am starting to decrease the amount of calories that I am eating (yes, I am trying again to diet/lose weight and just really think and convey that my symptoms are just TMS) and I am having problems with my period, just suddenly. Oh well, according to Steve's book he says just to go on and continue amidst of the pain/symptoms until you mind gets it- and lets go of the grip of TMS.

6. xanax26

xanax26 New Member

Yes, Ellen, it's really a long process. I don't get the back pain that much but the others are still there. But we really have to continuously battle it just like the common TMS symptoms. Basically, just continue to live our lives amidst of the symptoms.

I am trying to incorporate Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) with my recovery/healing. I guess it's all the hidden emotions- may it be rage, fear, shame, whatsover, is what's causing our misery. Also our brains, the conditioning aspect I think is a very huge chunk of this dilemma. Whenever I get the TMS equivalents I just tell my brain, 'conditioning' or 'thought of fear of failure' and just carry on with what I am doing/what I plan to do. Then eventually I'll get by.

7. xanax26

xanax26 New Member

Yup, I think so too. I've always had low self-esteem and all those toxic thoughts turned into depression then TMS started for me. I'm really doing the best I can to follow through and use all the knowledge that I gathered to beat this TMS because it's such a pain in the bottom! It's like, you know you have poor self image, and low self-estem. So you want to change that fact and really get on with your weightloss and feeling good plan- but the TMS and equivalents will just come and stop you! It's like it doesn't want to give you a chance to improve and see the other side! To think that there are a lot of other success stories around! Why can't it just be me as well!? So frustrating. But I am starting to beat it so that one day I can be a success story.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it's important to maintain a proper weight for a person's height but two of the happiest people I know
    are married to each other and both are what I would without hesitation call fat. They even met in a club for fat people.

They have no problem with self-esteem.

Another couple I know... he is lean and trim and handsome and his wife is fat and beautiful.

This may not help anyone dieting, but remember too that if you have a dog, it will love you no matter what you weigh.

xanax26, Anne Walker and tarala like this.