1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

posture

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ellie freegan, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

someone was looking at my posture yesterday and saying that one hip is higher than the other and the other shoulder is higher than the other and this puts lots of pressure on my back. I would be grateful for any reassurance that this is not the cause of my pain I and nor is weak muscles thank you

2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

most can tell some story here. personally I was told one leg was longer than the other and my pelvis was 'off'.
    all may be true but the link between all these alignment issues have never actually been proven to be the cause of pain, ever.

this is a longread article but I implore you to read it. really excellent debunking of many myths
    https://www.painscience.com/articles/structuralism.php

3. Lori

Lori Well known member

I remember being told a long time ago that one shoulder was higher than the other and that my back had an odd curve.
    I also remember being at a chiro's office maybe in the late 80s and he pointed out to me that one leg was shorter than the other.

We are not completely symmetrical. Even half our face is slightly different than the other side.

None of this is cause for concern!
    :)

4. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

thanks great article

5. Bunneh

Bunneh Peer Supporter

This should not be a source of concern. I have an S-shaped scoliosis,slightly uneven pelvis,a kyphotic curvature in the neck (which is considered abnormal in this segment of the spine) and disc herniations in the lumbar area. Yet, it hutrs only when I look at my MRIs. :p

Lizzy and IrishSceptic like this.
  6. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

I can't really add to what others have said, but sometimes lots of stories help us believe.

I have a friend I think has TMS, but she doesn't think so. She has regular appts with chiro, and theraputic massage. Oddly, when she isn't in pain she is often so crooked in her shoulders that people comment. She never seems to be crooked when she is having pain. She finds this strange, but not enough to ask questions that might lead to emotions. It is interesting to watch. Sad too.

She actually had purchased the Dr. Sarno book I first stumbled on at her son's house!

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ellie. I wish people would stop telling others their hips or legs or other body parts are not exactly the same length or position.
    It just gives us more to worry about. I hope you can ignore it. If you are in pain, it is most likely from TMS, some repressed emotion or a perfectionist or goodist person. Or you're just worried about something... finances, relationships, work, etc.
    When we worry our mind sends us pain. We can end the pain by believing it is TMS and not structural. Everyone gets pain of one kind or another during their life, and most of us get headaches. It's important to learn relaxation techniques... mindfulness (living in the present moment), meditation, deep breathing, thinking positive.

Don't pay any attention to nay-sayers and criticizers. I had some of those and stopped seeing them and felt better. I spend my time with happy, positive people.

Lizzy likes this.