1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Please help - my pain came back

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by PatrickG, Feb 9, 2015.

1. PatrickG

PatrickG New Member

Hi everyone,

I have suffered from back pain for the past 3 years and exhausted EVERY conventional, and alternative option; epidural injections, pain meds (of which I became addicted to), Chiro, ART, Yoga, Acupuncture, with zero relief other than the masking of pain meds.
    One month ago, I read "Healing back pain" and FINALLY found some relief...until last week. Not only did I read myself all over the pages, but my MRI showed herniated discs and Adema. Now that I reflect, I guarantee my four knee surgeries for torn menisci and current torn rotator cuffs are all TMS. My pain came back with a vengeance four days ago. I tried applying what I've learned in the book, ie; talking to my brain, thinking about my repressed emotions (anger) and started reading "Mind Body prescription). However, the pain has gotten so bad that I had to start taking my pain meds again. I have an appointment with Dr Raushbaum tomorrow, but does anyone know if I am missing anything. I REALLY need help! Please and thank you in advance.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi PatrickG,

The fact that you were able to find relief from just reading a Sarno book is truly wonderful, and you are very fortunate to have had that experience. Now you can be 100% certain that your pain is caused by TMS. But the reality for the vast majority of those of us with TMS is that healing takes much more work and time. There are many tools to help guide you in this work fortunately. The best approach in my opinion is to use a structured program that gives you specific tasks to do on a daily basis. There is a free one on this site called the Structured Educational Program, and there are some contained in books, like Unlearn Your Pain. They all involve spending time journaling to help you discover why you need the distraction of pain, as well as techniques to use to assist with changing how you view and deal with pain.

That's great that you have an appointment with Dr. Raushbaum. I'm sure that will be helpful. Many of us who do not heal quickly may also require the help of a trained TMS therapist, and there are many listed on this site who can help.

So hang in there. It takes patience, persistence, and courage to overcome TMS but it can be done, and it will happen for you. You've already experienced that for awhile so you know it is possible.

Keep us posted on how you're doing and let us know how we can help. We are all here to support one another.

3. PatrickG

PatrickG New Member

Thanks for your response. Do you know if taking pain meds is ok during my attempt to recover? I can't really function without them at this point. Thanks again.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Patrick, Ellen is right-on with her reply to you. You already know your pain is not structural, it's from TMS
    repressed emotions. The only thing you're missing is discovering what those emotions are, and they may go back
    to your childhood, as mine did.

That's why pain comes and goes, or moves around our body. It's our subconscious mind telling us we need to keep
    working on TMS knowledge, to uncover those repressed emotions. The Strructured Educational Program is a great
    way to discover what they are. Journaling helped me learn what mine were, going back to my parents divorcing
    when I was 7. That was harder on me than I thought. The floor of security was pulled out from underneath me.

5. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Patrick, a month is way too short a time to allow you to effect a complete cure of your TMS symptoms, especially if you haven't yet addressed the repressed emotions in your unconscious driving your pain symptoms. I know . . . I know . . . you hear about "Book Cures" where a TMS patient completely eradicates her/his symptoms after only reading Healing Back Pain once. But it's been my experience at least that the behaviors underlying TMS are usually so ingrained that it usually takes a lot more work than that to eradicate your symptoms completely. That you improved after reading Sarno though is a pretty good indicator that your symptoms are psychogenic in origin. Give it a lot longer than a month and keep working at it.

mdh157 likes this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, it is OK to take pain meds when the pain is severe. Just keep in mind that the meds only mask the pain, and are not being taken to fix a structural problem. But best to discuss this with the doctor.

Best wishes....

7. Day-Cee

Day-Cee Peer Supporter

Hi Pat,

I'm also having a flare-up at the moment... However, like Ellen said, I think the fact that you had relief at the beginning shows you that TMS it is... Its easy to lose the belief (I'm actually having the same fight) so just don't give up.

How was you appointment with Ira Rashbaum?

8. PatrickG

PatrickG New Member

Thanks everyone. The appointment went great, Dr Rashbaum diagnosed me with TMS. However, he prescribed the lectures and additional psychotherapy. I felt a little better last night and this morning, then BAM...the pain came back worse than its ever been. I really do not know what to do anymore.

9. Day-Cee

Day-Cee Peer Supporter

Just don't panic... There's a lot a thing you can do... As someone mentioned before, the miracle cure from TMS seems to rarely happens (although it does). I've been fighting for almost 6 months now, and the pain still come back sometime (like at the moment). Even John Stossel said that he has flare-up sometime too...

You need to build-up your confidence (which I know is not easy). Try to get Sarno's DVD, read other TMS books, do the structured educational program... Be patient, but the best advice I can tell you is, don't panic, this is exactly what TMS wants...

Out of curiosity, how much is an appointment with Dr. Rashbaum. I've been thinking about going to see him too...

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Ellen, I like this from your post:

"Yes, it is OK to take pain meds when the pain is severe. Just keep in mind that the meds only mask the pain, and are not being taken to fix a structural problem. But best to discuss this with the doctor."

I had some new knee pain, probably my subconscious wanting me to pay more attention to my TMS psychological causes,
    so after a few days, yesterday I took one Advil. I told myself that the pill would help, but also that I knew the pain was TMS.
    I told myself I could deal with the emotional cause of the pain. It vanished.

So I agree, if the pain is really bad, take a pain med, but keep in mind that it only masks the pain.

Ellen likes this.
  11. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

The subconcious is very tricky when starting to dig into your emotions. Now you should know without a doubt that it is TMS. It is trying to get you to stay away from those dark emotions that you NEED to release. When you do... The pain will go away. Do the therapy that is the best thing for you in my humble opinion :). I think we should all have therapists, not doctors to heal our sicknesses.. Hahaha!!... All that pain is from your emotions and you need to release and heal. Remember the pain is there to divert your attention.. So don't focus on it and don't feed it with fear. Think psychological NOt physical! Don't compare it from one day to the next! It can be tricky! Just stay focused on your emotions and releasing!

I'm so excited for you on your healing journey! You are going to go through hell and back with pain and your emotions.. But you are going to shine bright like a diamond when your done and be greatful for the experience!

You will also lead a much fuller richer life! And not have to worry about leading a life of chronic pain anymore! :) woohoo! Sending good vibes to you! You GOT this! When you go through the bad.. It makes you appreciate the good even more.

<3 Natalie

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

These are such inspirational, upbeat posts.

They're great to read any day, but especially on days like today when it's below zero here in Chicago
    and Forest and Becca are snowbound again in Boston. Bad weather can be depressing and that can cause pain,
    so these posts remind us it's really all TMS.

Peggy likes this.
  13. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

I'm dealing with a return of low back pain, too. Thankfully, after having it flare up for several weeks, it seems to be on its way out. Have you read Steve's book, The Great Pain Deception? It really helped me, even more than healing back pain and other books did, and it covers other types of pains too. When healing from tms you have to keep learning about it and reinforcing it, esp when you have a flare up. The structured educational program mentioned above is really goood too. Hope you feel better soon.

14. Day-Cee

Day-Cee Peer Supporter

If it can make you feel better Walt, it is -35 today in Montreal! :p Hard winter over here lol