1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Persistent symptoms and a few q’s on knee and back pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Grace02stanton, May 14, 2023.

1. Grace02stanton

Grace02stanton Newcomer

Hi, I’ve been integrating TMS concepts into my life for just over a year now and I’ve made huge improvements after 5 & 1/2 years of some weird symptoms - tingling, limb weakness, piriformis syndrome, headaches, globus etc… I’m really happy with the progress I’ve made but I’m still having fairly regular flare ups which have been getting me a bit down recently and was wondering what other people’s experience with ongoing or persistent symptoms is and how they deal with them? Every-time I have a flare up I begin to doubt that it’s TMS even though it’s the only plausible explanation, then the doubt prolongs the symptom which is frustrating so any tips on how to get out of that mindset would be great!

Another q - I developed a pain in my left lower knee (which hurts more when I press on a specific point) when I was running a few months ago and initially had a few weeks off, then went back and the pain keeps returning. I have treated it as a tms symptom since but I’ve seen no change or improvement in it (it hasn’t gotten worse but it usually hurts and makes walking difficult for ~3 days post run) - I’m pretty sure it is tms but was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar as this type of symptom is completely new to me?
    Also one last question.. I love cycling and have been able to start doing that again which has been great, but I’ve been getting lower back pain when riding especially uphill. I’ve been told by a few people that it’s because the seat is too high, I feel like that wouldn’t cause back pain after reading so much about how resilient the human back really is, but wanted to ask to see if anyone on here had an opinion on this? Thank you in advance

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

My suggestion for flare ups. Post signs “think psychological” on your mirror, fridge, computer.. wherever. Just like making new neural circuits you have to create new go-to thought patterns.
    When you say “Tms concepts” have you looked at your personality (Sarno outlines some typical tms traits) and/or psychological history to recognize and be aware of thought, emotion and behavioral patterns?
    Have you addressed emotional repression?
    Sometimes these things can help sort out the other puzzle pieces.

Ellen and TG957 like this.