1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Past Traumatic Events And Experiences

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Guiseppe, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe New Member

Question to those of you who made a "Past Traumatic Events" list. Were your entries specific events, or just themes from your past?

For instance, I know I felt insecurity over my appearance, and would like to document that in this list, but I felt this insecurity all the time, and I can't think of a specific instance where it was pronounced compared to my baseline. So I don't have an event in mind. Should I just write "insecurity over appearance" and move on to journaling?

I might have to do this for each of my entries. I have an emotional issue I want to include in the list, but can't remember a pronounced event to represent the emotion. Should I just write the emotion down and not worry about a specific event?

Last question, I can't think of more than three things to put down, while the template has fifteen slots. The template in Howard Schubiner's book (Unlearn Your Anxiety And Depression) has twenty slots. Did you have a bunch of entries, or just a couple? Honestly, it is upsetting that I can't think of more, so maybe it's best I stick with the three and not beat myself up.

2. Bitzalel Brown

Bitzalel Brown Peer Supporter

For now just list your general emotional issues. When you start journaling you will meet many more. Don't feel pressured, that part of the TMS cause. Go easy on yourself and just be open to what even comes up in your journaling. I have had many people who could find no more that one or two issues and no specific events but as they slowly unfolded their hidden world with writing they opened up to worlds that are hidden below the surface. all's good. Just be consistent and open to the process.