1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain that changes sensation?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by riverrat, Aug 6, 2016.

1. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

Hi folks,

So I'm posting because I suppose i still am trying to fully convince myself. Even though I " think" I believe in my pain tms.

So my question is if it's common for one's site of pain to change sensations? Example being that it changes throughout the same day even from burning to stinging, to needle like poky sensations I call it? And for me, it's pelvic so it changes locations too throughout the day, still pelvic but rotates actual location slightly. Dies This sound familiar to you guys that it moves slightly and changes pain sensations?

Maybe if someone else experienced and you've seen this to be common, it will give me even more confidence.

Thank you?

Jason32 likes this.
  2. TimmyH

TimmyH Peer Supporter

Absolutely. Over the last 2 years I've had back spasms, lightning bolts of electricity down my spine, stinging ant bite feelings, tingling, feeling like water is dripping down my legs, pelvic muscle spasms, burning eyes, dry eyes, headaches. All of it is tms. I often used to get all of these feelings in a day. What I also struggled with the most was my pelvic pain/pudendal neuralgia. This was tough. I had some much electrical type pain all the time. It also used to change a lot td include spasms, tingling, zapping etc. I too had a lot of trouble understanding that the brain could change the symptoms so much in a second. Now I know that it can as I have 80 percent freed myself of these all through tms work. The only disease/syndrome in the world where the symptoms can change so widely all over the body is tms. There is nothing else. It is trying to get you to focus your attention on it. When you don't it often will change the symptoms to try even harder to get you to focus on it. It's the fear of the symptoms that fuels them. The pain is meaningless. The less attention you pay to the physical symptom the less pain you will have. Easier said than done I know. Just try to fill your life as much as possible with things that grab your attention in a positive way. Hobbie, interests, learning a new skill is great for your mind. Our if you can't physically do much yet, focus on your ultimate goals and draw up a plan to get there. I had a lot of pain sitting so any activity that involved this was tough. So I made myself sit a little more everyday to build up my tolerance. I also worked out that if I was distracted while sitting I could do it for longer. So I taught myself to play the guitar while sitting to challenge my mind in a positive way. Draw some of your own goals up and work out a plan or timeline to get there.

You can do it. Pelvic pain is strongly associated with a mental component. The medical community knows this. If your pain just appeared out of the blue one day and they can't find what's wrong, rest assured it's tms. Tms can be beaten. Don't fuel it, starve it of your attention. Just like anything that is starved, it gradually fades away. Once it begins to fade it doesn't look so intimidating any more. You can do it, we all can.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

This is very common. The purpose of it is to keep you fixated on your body. Shift your attention elsewhere. @TimmyH give great advice above.

riverrat likes this.
  4. riverrat

Timmyh
    Bless your heart for taking the time to reply to both my posts! You gave me more hope. It sounds as though we struggle with similar pain. I don't have terrible trouble sitting except after a long time. If I do it's more tailbone or back and it is significantly better. I never got told I have pudedal nerve issues, though I fearfully read about it and got scared. But since sitting isn't the worst, I don't really think that's it. But Steveo says it is common in tms either way. I just have what I call " crotch pain."

I can get strongly distracted in different environments and feel almost ok at times. I had a much better day yesterday spending it with an old friend I dont see often on the river. See, good diversion helps. From what use read that's a sure sign if tms too.

In fact her husband has stenosis and we've talked about tms. So he just finished Steve's book and feels better! See there's healing all the time!

Thank you for your suggestions Timmyh and for your words of hope and encouragement. It means everything hearing from a real person who had what I struggle with and is doing so well! Thank you!

5. riverrat

And yes, this started without any type of physical injury. It was after increasing emotional stress that started from work, then continued on with an alcoholic brother I had to take legal guardianship of and care for health and finacial wise due to illness and his metal incompetency from brain damage from the alcoholic coma he was in last summer ( horrible elements of stress involved there that I could describe for hours but won't - oh what he's done to my house!)
    then my mom got diagnosed with congestive heart failure this year and helping her too, ( I am the only one of my siblings that helps her) then more stress from a harassment and legal issue for my mom and more family drama. I have 3 kids to take care of on top of taking care of everyone else. I got drained, then scared, then angry for my family not helping me with everything, and then I felt guilt over the circle of events this last year. I'm tired of everyone needing me. And I'm finally starting to see that. So this pain started with emotional triggers rather than anything physical.

6. Candy

Candy New Member

timmyh,

How did you ignore your pain when it is so uncomfortable, i also have pelvic pain with tingling sensation, its so uncomfortable, i cant ignore it. It will make me feel defeated when i react badly.

7. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

TimmyH very accurately and eloquently described nearly full spectrum of my symptoms and outlined the path out. I can only add swelling and redness of the skin. What you have is TMS. The scarier are the symptoms, the more they escalate due to your fear. It became a feverish race to the bottom for me and in less than 2 months I became nearly fully incapacitated. A year later, I am still climbing out of it, at a snail pace. Fear and anxiety is what fuels your symptoms.

8. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Mine started without a specific injury - just accumulation of stress. You can't control the stress level, but try to keep your response to stress under control and give yourself enough emotional rest when you can.