1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 15 Pain moving around

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by prisd, Mar 2, 2016.

1. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

My bladder pain seemed to disappear for several days when I was really journaling a lot and anxious. Then it came back. Then got really faint when we went skiing out of town. Now it's back full force. My knee pain got worse before going skiing, but was totally fine while skiing. My TMJ jaw pain has been worse the last few days because my daughter's had the stomach flu and I've been really worried about her and none of us are getting sleep.

I really try and link it to my emotional state, but I also sometimes think about physical causes, which is a setback I know. Like our IC support leader sent an article about chlorinated water causing more cases of diagnosed IC. My knee pain really comes back with specific movements, like bending my knee too much while weight is on it. That makes me second-guess the TMS cause too.

It's like, I know TMS is the underlying cause, but I feel like the physical stuff also contributes.

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Wow...what a positive experience of the pain coming and going and moving around. That is tremendous evidence. Think about what you did to that knee while snow skiing. You were bending, twisting, turning, weight shifting and it did not bother you. Wow...

One suggestion would be to stop reading or talking to others about physical causes. As you said it increases doubt.

You are doing great.

3. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

Right? My conscious mind gets it, but not sure about my subsconscious.

MellieV likes this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Migrating pain was one thing that convinced me that my pain was due to TMS. When I had the full-blown headaches, and was working the SEP trying to get rid of them, one day the pain traveled to a location it had never been before. Bingo! TMS!
    Hang in there prisd! You're on the right track!

5. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

I have been having some creeping thoughts of my pain being physical lately too. Although I am 100% convinced I have TMS, and plenty of evidence to back it up (especially over the last month of the program), I still can't help but think that I am completely fine - mentally and physically - for a few days, then I spend a few hours standing in the kitchen and my knees ache. I have also recently felt so good, I went out to the park with my dog and youngest for the day, sure enough, knee pain the rest of the night. Pain that's visibly (or externally) linked with physical activity is just so hard to deny, even when you're actively telling your brain to deny it! I'd love to hear how anyone else got over this hump as well.