1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain medication never works

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by capndetroit, Jan 24, 2022.

1. capndetroit

capndetroit New Member

Is it common with TMS for pain relievers to have no effect? I've been on everything short of narcotics for my headaches and I might as well be taking sugar pills.

2. MedicineWithin

MedicineWithin Peer Supporter

Yea when I was healing from TMS they pretty much did nothing for me either.

3. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

i feel like one of the ways i often know an issue is TMS is when any kind of pain killer has no effect.

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Pain meds are effective for acute pain, but ineffective for chronic brain based pain (TMS). They may help a bit temporarily, or provide a placebo effect, but mostly they just make you care a little less that you are in pain. Opiates especially have this effect imo. I remember when I was taking copious amounts of tramadol or even stronger drugs like fentanyl patches (which landed me in the er actually), I felt "high" and "euphoric" but I was in just as much pain as ever!! As @fridaynotes pointed out, it's a tip off when they do nothing to dull the pain or symptoms, that it's TMS. We have an opiate epidemic precisely for the reason that the medical mainstream is still treating symptoms and not the cause.

Ellen likes this.