1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain Keeps Returning

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JackG, Jul 30, 2018.

1. JackG

JackG New Member

Hi there,

I have been going through the TMS recovery process now for a few months (herniated disc and annular tear following leg press at the gym). I'd say more seriously for about the past 3ish. In that time, I've had a few days of little-to-no pain--maybe 2 or 3--but those inevitably return back to full pain, lasting significantly longer. I just can't get over those regressions. I am in one now - last week I was in no pain for two full days, and then immediately plummeted back into pain. I know about the "extinction burst," but this is the 3rd or 4th time it is happening.

I already saw a TMS physician and was diagnosed with TMS, I am working with a TMS Psychotherapist, and I am also working with Alan Gordon's team over Skype.

I don't know what to do to get over these relapses. It seems like every time I take two steps forward, I take two steps back. I wouldn't mind if it were two steps forward or one step back, but I've been in thus purgatory for months now. The worst part is that I remember the pain being somewhat transient when I first got "injured" in November - a few days with pain, and then a few without. The severe pain only settled in when I started scaring myself about permanent injury/when a doctor said the annular tear meant I may never sit again. That petrified me and left me in significantly more pain, which resolved after discovering TMS. I'm worried that the TMS component was the pain I had following that fear, but what I'm left with is just the way I'll be forever now.

Is this common? The fluctuation from less pain to more pain over and over again? How do I keep my mind in the right place? Every time I find myself falling back into pain, I start to lose a bit more hope.

Really would appreciate some help or stories of people who were in similar situations.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, this is very common. In fact, I've never heard of anyone recovering from TMS in a linear fashion. Recovery and progress are usually all over the place. We just need to hang on for the ride and know that eventually we find a place of zero or low pain, though even then, relapse is common.

Fortunately, you have lots of support by TMS experts. They will guide you through this. Hang in there.

3. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Yes, very common. The trick is not getting annoyed or frustrated of back lashes. Just take it easy.

4. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

Keep working through it and try to remember (or continue to tell yourself) that worrying about what some insensensitive, ill-informed person said to you doesn’t do anyone any good. But also don’t beat yourself up about it either.

I’ve had many ups and downs, steps forward and steps back, and honestly I still do. But I finally made a major breakthrough by continuing to work on the psychological aspects (actually through bodywork), but it was definitely psychology-based.

You said you’re interested in other people’s stories, so you can peruse my personal website that describes my journey (if you’re interested): http://www.healingfromchronicpain.com/home.html (Healing from Chronic Myofascial Pain--Support for chronic pain sufferers: Defying Gravity--An Athlete's Journey of Healing from Chronic Myofascial Pain). I prepared it in hopes of maybe helping others not feel so alone and showing them what helped me.

Hang in there, but know sometimes there are deep-seeded issues that take some time to resolve—at least that was the case for me.

Best of luck!!