1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Pain is moving around

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by orffgirl, Jun 24, 2015.

1. orffgirl

orffgirl New Member

From everything I have read on this site, I feel that the fact that my pain is moving around is great news at this point in my recovery. A week ago I had pain in my right ankle. Then it moved to my right hip. Then yesterday it completely went away for a whole day! Today I woke up with pain in my left shoulder and now, later in the day, it is in my left hip! This is crazy! But I'm trying to just laugh it off and tell my brain to enjoy its last hurrah because I know I am well on the road to recovery! (I hope)

trichick2 likes this.
  2. cokeefe88

cokeefe88 Newcomer

Awesome. Good for you. I'm on day 8 too. My main pain is still in pretty much the same place, although I have noticed more pain in other places too...so I'll just assume that's a good thing :)

3. orffgirl

orffgirl New Member

Yes I think even though it's more uncomfortable, it's a sign that the brain's strategy is failing…getting desperate. Let's hope…..

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Orfgirl. I'm glad you are laughing away your pain. It really helps.
    laughing sends healing endorphins to our body and mind.

Here is some stuff I found over the years, about the benefits of laughter:

Laughter is a powerful antidote to stress, pain, and conflict. Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh. Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hopes, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded, focused, and alert.

With so much power to heal and renew, the ability to laugh easily and frequently is a tremendous resource for surmounting problems, enhancing your relationships, and supporting both physical and emotional health.

Laughter is good for your health
    • Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
    • Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
    • Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
    • Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.

Kathleen, Grateful17 and orffgirl like this.
  5. Bluesky

Bluesky New Member

Hi orffgirl, that has also been my experience of TMS. The pain I had in my right leg has gone and these last two days, I have had slight pain in my left ankle and now my left thigh, accompanied by muscle twitching that I have often had with TMS in the past.

I am trying to keep my anxiety levels about this low, continue with my physical activity and read forums, articles and Dr Sarno's book to remind myself of how the subconscious will try and use the pain to distract from emotional pain. So I'm journalling and reflecting on what is causing me to be angry and anxious.

I hope that the pain continues to diminish as it moves around your body.

orffgirl likes this.
  6. dpg

dpg Newcomer

Laughing it off is a great strategy. Really funny to see how the brain scurries to try to still grab a hold of you. You are definitely on the right track. Keep on at it and keep on laughing.

orffgirl likes this.
  7. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Love it! Way to go. My pain is moving around, too - a sign of desperation, I think! "Good! Be desperate! You are such a WIMP - I'm onto you now!" It's a lot more fun to argue with your brain than I ever thought it would be!

orffgirl and Bluesky like this.
  8. trichick2

trichick2 Newcomer

HI mom! Great post!

KevinB and orffgirl like this.
  9. orffgirl

orffgirl New Member

I'm away from home for a couple of weeks with sporadic access to internet. I actually think it's good for the TMS to be unplugged for awhile since I tend to obsess…(oh yes totally a TMS personality here…) It's great to get back online and see these supportive comments though…the pain comes and goes…..I'm still laughing at the desperation of it….

KevinB likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Deep breathing and then laughing are two of my favorites for TMS pain including headaches.

orffgirl likes this.
  11. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

I'm reading that your pain changes, mine does not, yet I know I have tms. Does anyone else's stay in one place. I have tms in my teeth..not tmj.....but my teeth. Strange.Anyone else have that? It would be good to know I'm not alone.
    Kathleen

12. orffgirl

orffgirl New Member

I often get episodes of sensitivity in my teeth when I feel stresses. I believe it is TMS! Everyone is different. Your pain does not have to follow the same pattern as mine or anyone else's