1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain is back after a year of being good

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dharn999, Jun 13, 2016.

1. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

I hurt my back deadlifting in 2012 as well and it was the sharpest pain I've ever had.. It left a long lasting pain for a few years until I discovered TMS and Dr Sarno.. Now I'll be honest, the pain never went entirely away but it was eased once I started to understand TMS and how long term pain shouldn't exist..

With that being said, I recently overworked myself at a second job moving a person into a new house.. Going up and down stairs holding stuff and bending my back in ways I shouldn't has irritated the original spot I hurt 4 years ago... So now I'm trying to figure out if I'm dealing with soreness from how I was working or if it's TMS.. I had been doing pretty good without the back and hip tightness for about a year, I still do all the same activity I had been (weight lift and run) and once the blood starts pumping it doesn't hurt that bad).

I know TMS can derive from a real injury that you are preventing from healing.. Right now I'm trying to not obsess over the pain or let it limit my activity.... Has anyone else gone through this?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I lifted a carton of 36 cans of beer and felt terrible pain in my back. I let it try to heal by itself but when it didn't, I asked a nurse friend and she told me to read Dr, Sarno's Healing Back Pain. I came to believe in TMS and my back pain went away.

You probably worked muscles doing the lifting and carrying that you haven't used for years. That could very well have caused pain. Give yourself some time to rest. If the pain persists or feels worse, have your doctor look at you. Even if something structural is found, that may not be causing your pain and something emotional may be the cause. It won't hurt you to start the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site. It helped me to discover repressed emotions going back to my boyhood that I finally had to discover and put to rest.