1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain in private parts tms?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Leslie735, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

Hello! I've been down the TMS journey in the past. Three years ago I had on and off urinary problems that I successfully got rid of with tms work. I suffer from bad health anxiety and I realize that. Because of it I find myself on the Google train quite often. Anyway, last year I had 2 separate breast scares with tests and even a biopsy. The entire year was full of anxiety. Anyway, long story cut short, things have finally settled down and I was doing ok. Then 3 weeks ago, I was out with my family when I got this strange mild pain in my private area. To be more specific and TMI, it was in my clitoris. It was like this ache that came and went. Well I quickly went into a panic because I had read about a condition called PGAD during my googling I've done in the past. It sounded awful and it has stuck with me since. I assumed the pain would go away and I'd forget about it. Well here I am 3 weeks later and it's still present. It's not constant, it's on and off sometimes all day, just a few times a day or I've gone up to 3 days without it in the 3 weeks. For example, I had it Friday, none on Saturday and then all day yesterday. The pain changes sometimes it's a mild ache, sometimes a burny crampy feeling and other times an electric shooting pain but always in my clitoris or urethra area. My fear is this isn't going to stop and get worse. Pgad is my worst fear and I'm pretty terrified! Is this TMS messing with me again?

2. Kylin Foster

Kylin Foster Peer Supporter

Sounds like TMS to me. I would not fear the pain so much and be preoccupied with it since that fuels the pain cycle. I'm not fimiliar with the condition your talking about but I would always go to a doctor to rule out anything physical and if you know it's not physical tell your brain you know what's going on! But honestly if it's something your afraid of getting and read about it would make sense that your brain would try to scare you with it.

3. Leslie735

I have a good attitude about it until it happens then I get the sudden fear and panic. I'm terrified it's going to get worse. I started the SEP journaling this morning and I'm going to dust off my copy of Sarnos mind body prescription.

4. Kylin Foster

Kylin Foster Peer Supporter

I completely understand it's hard to stay indifferent when the pain comes but that's part of healing it. Not giving it the preoccupation it wants. This is something I'm still learning too. Good luck! I wish you the best and strength during this :)

Leslie735 likes this.
  5. Leslie735

Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words. :)

Kylin Foster likes this.
  6. c90danwaiel

c90danwaiel Peer Supporter

Hi Leslie,

I had a similar experience, but the male equivalent. At first, mine came and went. Then it was more constant. And now, after I've done TMS work, it's almost entirely gone.

I know there are definitely women who have had pains falling under the broader category of 'pelvic pain' who have successfully become pain-free through TMS techniques, so you're by no means alone there. I believe Abigail Steidley had vulvodynia, recovered through a mind-body approach (I think from a slightly different angle than Sarno's), and has a website with her story and advice.

And one more thing I wanted to add: I read that you're "terrified it's going to get worse". I just had a flare a few weeks ago, and I realized the main thing feeding my flare was my fear that the pain would stay. After three months of little to no pain, it crept back one day and I started to panic.

One thing that helped me so much was reading Alan Gordon's writings in the TMS Recovery Program about outcome indifference. It really helped me, and letting go of the fear was key for me for escaping the pain. It was kind of like a Chinese finger trap. I had to not care and quit worrying (as well as focus on other things and live my life like normal) before the pain went away. That's easier said than done, but it really does work.

Best of luck,
    c90danwaiel

Anisha_d87 likes this.
  7. Leslie735

That is encouraging that you were able to get it to go away with tms work. I started the SEP yesterday and I'm going to reread my copy of Sarnos mind body prescription.

It's difficult to "not care" when I feel the symptoms, but I know that is what I need to do. How do you don't that when it scares you so much? I seem to have a lot if panic surrounding that area of my body, always have and I'm unsure why. Google has ruined me!

8. c90danwaiel

c90danwaiel Peer Supporter

If Google could ruin someone, I'd been long ruined! I spent entire days on there, going down and down the anxiety spiral. I still occasionally run across a journal article that I printed out on the latest condition I thought I had. But even after 5 months of that, I was able to pull myself out of it, and I know there's another person on the forum that suffered for decades and was cured. So no worries that it's ruined you :) People have overcome chronic pain that's lasted for decades, after having spent multiple hours a day on chronic pain forums and on Google searches, trying to locate their symptoms.

And I completely agree - it's difficult not to care when such a sensitive part of your body is having troubling symptoms! For me, some of the things that helped me overcome that was to convince myself that this truly was TMS (keeping an evidence journal really helped; that got me 99% there, but then one day, the pain shifted to my feet one day and so after that, I had no more doubt). Also, just living my life as normal, even with he pain, was a huge step.

Counter-intuitive as it sounds, I had to get to a place where I accepted the pain would be there and never go away - and where I could still live my life - before I could overcome the fear of the pain which was allowing the pain to exist in the first place. I accepted it, lived my life as usual and broke the google/anxiety cycle, and the pain subsided in time. It's almost just as hard to do those steps and then expect instant results and become frustrated when you don't see them, but true 'outcome independence' is necessary (Alan Gordon has a great bit on this in the forum and the wiki).

Again, best of luck! This will get better, and don't worry: there is hope for those of us anxious health Googlers!

9. Leslie735

You and I sound VERY much alike. Everyting you said, I'm sitting here like "yep, thats me!" I've been down this path before, I orginally came to know TMS back in 2014 when I was having urinary problems. I was successful then, quite quickly too! I pretty much read Sarnos Mind Body Prescription, journaled and it was gone in a matter of a week or two. It was amazing! I'm praying for the same outcome this time. Thank you for the suggestions and encouragement. :)

10. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Hi Leslie 735, have you been to the doctor? I had a uti last Sept and I think it started in late August as I had some sensations somewhat like yours. I didn't want to go to the doctor as I didn't want antibiotics and hoped it was an irritated scratch from swimming in the lake a lot every day. Then the obvious uti symptoms hit big time.

11. Leslie735

No, I haven't. Mainly because the symptoms are sporadic. They are not constant. Some days its there randomy, a lot or not at all. I would think if it was a UTI it'd be there all the time right? I've had UTI's several times in my past and this doesn't feel like those did. Plus its more in "that" spot on not in my urethra area. Sorry to be graphic!

12. EileenS

Mine was sporadic too. Maybe my body was trying to fight it off. I've had several uti's and this was different, not the normal symptoms and mine was where you describe yours. Wouldn't hurt to get your doc to do the test while you are not feeling desperate for relief - you know what I mean. That way you will know if it's tms too. And stay away from Dr Google lol.

13. Leslie735

Was it confirmed through a test? And all the symptoms disappeared after medication?

14. EileenS

I didn't go to the doctor until the typical uti symptoms started and then I was so desperate I went to a walk in clinic right away because my gp couldn't see me for several hours. The antibiotics the clinic gave me didn't work and I had to get antibiotics that the dr called 'the big guns'. They worked. The first antibiotics are the normal ones given, but probably didn't work because I was waiting for typical full blown symptoms before running to a doctor.

15. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

It's not uncommon. But I'm in the group that can see that everything is TMS, until proven otherwise. The "matter" follows the energy driven by the orders of the thoughts. The body simply reacts to the signals you are sending it. Guilt and shame are the prime drivers.

Leslie735 likes this.
  16. Leslie735

I carry around quite a bit of guilt and shame. So, you saying that is actually quite comforting to me. :)