1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain in legs and feet

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by lina82, Jan 2, 2015.

1. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

Hi! I just wanted to check if my kind of pain is common among people with TMS? My main problem is that I have severe pain under both of my feet (worse at night / when I'm supposed to sleep - could it be conditioned?) and my lower legs, mostly the inside of my legs. My lower legs are also very sore if I touch them just a little bit with my fingertips. Is this something that sounds familiar to anyone? I also suffer from backpain from time to time, but this leg/feet pain has stayed with me for soon 1,5 years now...

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Lina

I also suffer from the same issues for the last 5 years, I know how much of a bother it is, but I go about my day I exercise daily do yoga and mediate, also I am on meds for my anxiety and pain…I tried coming off but could not function I believe in my tms 100 percent but I am not ready to come off….Have you done the sep and been to a doctor to rule out any other issues?

3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I think that what you describe as pain at the inside of your lower legs is also known as 'shin splints'. I had it and it would make some areas extremely sensitive to the touch. The pain under the feet is also recognizable and may be what people often call plantar fasciitis. You see the 'itis' at the end? It's kind of a give-away for TMS :)
    I wore inlays in my shoes for a while, which gave some relief but not much and neither long lasting. Those inlays were tossed in the bin in the end. I also used to apply triggerpoint therapy, which also sometimes helped but mainly in convincing myself more and more that it was TMS (triggerpoints in 90+% of the cases points to TMS!!). In the end I could only make the symptoms disappear by treating them as TMS.
    My suggestion is like BR's one to let a doctor rule out anything serious, because in a small number of cases shin splints have a more serious origin. But having it in both legs and the combination with plantar fasciitis tells me that chances are pretty high that you are simply suffering from a benign form of shin splints aka TMS....

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lina,

I'm ever so sorry to hear about your pain. I have had pain under one of my feet too and can confidently say it was TMS. But to be on the safe side, please check with a Dr to eliminate any structural abnormalities, it will also help you enforce your belief that it is TMS. Once you can safely say this, I would read a Dr Sarno's book, if you haven't already done so, then commence on a SEP which will help you overcome your TMS.

God bless and good luck,

Mike

5. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

Thank you for your responds! I have been to the doctor(s) a number of times and have suggested to them that it might be shin splints or compartment syndrome, but they don't agree. I have been taking a lot of different tests (nerves, muscles, blood tests for RA and so on). I got the fibromyalgia diagnosis some months ago instead, but I refuse to believe it. I believe TMS more and is now working with balancing my ANS through somatic experiencing and qi gong (and I'm following the structured program). So I believe in TMS, it's only the soreness that makes me confused - what is that?

6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lina,

Just to clarify, Fibromyalgia sits within the family of TMS ailments, so the fact that you were diagnosed with this should help enforce it is TMS and should be treated the same way - there is a wonderful book available on Amazon called Freedom fro,m Fibromyalgia by Nancy Selfridge. Unfortunately, TMS can manifest in all shapes and forms, the important thing is to not to focuss on your pain, the more you do so, the more it will hurt. Please be kind, gentle and loving to yourself. Focussing on those parts of your body that are healthy, knowing this pain is only momenterily and will lessen with time.

God bless you,

Mike

7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I had severe foot pain which many doctors said was Plantar Fasciitis. It was TMS, which it may well be that all/most PF actually is. From over 10 doctors that looked at me, I believe it is not an easy thing to actually physically diagnose, even though most were "sure" that was what I had. Had me on crutches and wheelchair for years...all went away in a couple of months. Have faith! Good luck.
    Andy

Boston Redsox likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Andy, it's great that you have not needed the crutches of wheelchair. Doctors can make us sick, misdiagnosing our pain, or not even considering it
    may be psychological and not structural. Some of them have wanted to cut open my neck because of what they said was a cancerous growth,
    but I insisted on having a culture taken and that resulted in learning it was just a tiny water blister and healed by itself.

So I have faith that if I am examined and nothing structurally bad is found, most if not all pain is from TMS. I had no idea I had stored so much
    anger from feelings during my boyhood. When discovered them and forgave my parents and myself, my back pain went away.

Hope you have a happy, healthy, prosperous new year.