1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain in left temple, triggers

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Hiawatha922, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

I have noticed that eating certain foods triggers increased pain in my left temple. This temple discomfort is present every day--sometimes it is more intense and sometimes less intense. Spicy foods and exposure to pollens increase the sensations.

Since childhood, I've noticed that my left eye often had more intense symptoms associated with pollen allergies than my right eye (redness). Several years ago, a tingling started in my left temple. Initially, the tingling would come and go but then it stayed. Now it is present daily--sort of an ache. My other symptoms emerged at about the same time: sciatica, left back tingling/ache, etc. And, as I have mentioned in other posts, no structural cause for any of these symptoms has been identified.

I am wondering if it is helpful to explore triggers for the temple symptoms and avoid them or if that is counterproductive. It's hard not to start searching for more information, such as exploring the associations between physical pain/sensations and foods. However, I don't want to feed-in to my overemphasis on physical symptoms. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

If it's TMS then NO, it will not be helpful to explore physical symptoms, only emotional triggers, if you want to call them that. Look at the Rahe-Holmes list for the tension creating life situations that have occurred in the last year.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Hiawatha922

Thanks Tennis Tom.

These symptoms prompt some fear in me. This is fear about the root cause of these symptoms. Is this really TMS? Would TMS have such explicit associations (such as foods and temple pain)?

The Rahe-Homes list does not contain many items that I have experienced over the past year. I am able to identify some pretty significant stressors--but they do not appear on the list.

4. Hiawatha922

I just re-read my post from last night. I know the answer to my own question. Could TMS cause explicit associations between food and body sensations? The answer is yes. The issue isn't the food. I want to stay focused on the root causes: emotions, thoughts, personality type...

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Happy Sunday, Hiawatha.
    I do think you answered your own question. Your symptoms are from TMS.
    You've probably just conditioned yourself to think you have the temple pain, and
    that it is from allergies. Dr. Sarno says that TMS repressed emotions can cause allergy problems.
    It's just another way our subconscious send us pain and TMS knowledge tells us we have
    to discover the repressed emotions that cause it, and that usually leads to forgiving those who
    gave us stresses back when we were children.

Maybe start the Structured Education Program, or if you've been through it before,
    go back to it.

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes you have it Hiawatha922, Remember focus more on the emotional triggers rather than the food to emotion triggers ok.