1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain Constant and Not Triggered By Anything

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Here4chocolate, Oct 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Here4chocolate

Here4chocolate New Member

Hello everyone. I am on day 15 of the structured education program as well as reading through almost all the suggested books on this page. One thing i'm struggling with is that everyone who has a sucess story and a lot of the information points to pain that comes on during activity. Followed by pain that is triggered by something emotional.
    However, my pain is constant, always there, and has been since January 2007. Movement doesnt change it, nor does different situations and stress levels. I know I read that this can still happen with TMS and I know there is absolutly nothing wrong my structurally (my biggest tell was that my pain is in my pelvis and thighs and when I had an epidural during childbirth, I felt nothing below the waist...except my pain!!!).
    Anyone else have constant consistant pain level? Or can someone point me to a sucess story with something simliar?
    (not sure if this has been discussed before, i'm in rush and havent had time to search the forum. Yes, I know being in a rush is probably not a good thing :) )

Thank you in advance

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like phantom limb pain as much as anything. Which of course was declared by the medical profession to be "impossible" (just as your docs also said, as you described for someone on a different thread today). But neuroscience eventually proved that the real nature of phantom limb pain was totally possible, because all pain (all physical sensations in fact) are generated in our brains.

Try googling "phantom limb pain retraining" and consider your options for retraining your brain to not expect pain. Alan Gordon's Pain Reprocessing Therapy is one such program.

Mind you, brain retraining is, in my opinion, only one step in a recovery process that still involves doing the deep emotional work, particularly for anyone who has suffered from extreme symptoms for a long time, and/or has been "working" with TMS theory for a long time. Everyone will have a different path.

Forget trying to match your experience with anyone else. Comparing to others is just another way for your brain to distract you with doubt, and waste your time. Your epidural experience was real, and it is yours, and it tells you everything you need to know about how you need to face and change your pain. I really like that you posted it on the other thread as support for that other member. It's not only a powerful reminder of your truth, but it can help others.

3. Here4chocolate

Here4chocolate New Member

❤️ thank you. I can definitely see how it would be my brain trying to distract me because it is almost like another voice in my head. When I have hope, the voice says "but look no one is like you"

I hit reply too fast. It's funny one of my earlier thoughts like 10 years ago when nothing was working that It could be like phantom limb pain. At the time when I Googled it, it said they prescribed something I was already taking (gabapentin I think) so dropped that line of thinking but you just reminded me and I'll definitely Google it with this new knowledge

JanAtheCPA likes this.