1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 9 Overly critical? Duh!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dankat, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dankat

dankat New Member

The "Question to Ponder" in the Structured Educational Program today asks if we are overly critical....

Um, YEAH. I think I have been conditioned for a long time to believe that this is a good thing. The fact that I am my own worst critic has been a badge of honor in a lot of ways. And if there is one voice that might re-enforce that, then I believe it with all my heart.

I am a performer, and have been taught not to ever read reviews (mostly because they don't help, which I believe is true), but why do I even need to open that can of worms when I am so self-critical? There can be a hundred people who will say that they loved my work, but I will focus on the things that are not successful in my eyes. I know I experience joy from sharing on stage, but I have done a tremendous amount of damage over the years by being so overly critical of myself. Why do I so over-value the negative? Good question... time to journal again!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a great reply dankat. I think I was self critical because I always expected more of myself. Whom ever that came from -- my parents I assume. Anyhow I learned that I could get that part to calm down and give me a break. I learned to be friends with that side of me and then I had a lot of the TMS bug beat so in time you too will learn to control this side that seems to be a part that wants the best for you, and it does.

We just learn how to take the critical views in a healthy way. I'm glad your keeping us up-dated. Thanks for the awesome thread. I think we keep that critical part -- we just learn how to control it instead of it controlling us ya know.