1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Overcoming Insomnia

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Tacosaurus Tex, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Tacosaurus Tex

Tacosaurus Tex New Member

Hi everyone,

I've been through at least part of the structured TMS program numerous times. Each time it's for something new (groin pain, back pain, erectile dysfunction (yes), etc.). This time insomnia is starting to get the better of me. My plan is to go through the entire 45 day structured program to see if I can't finally get a handle on my sleeping problems.

About 1-3 nights a week I have this issue where my whole body will itch and burn while I lie in bed. I can tell it's a form of insomnia because my mind is usually very active while it's happening (i.e. it's not really "keeping me up"). Because of this I probably miss out on about 10 hours a sleep per week. This has taken its toll on me and I want to see if I can finally overcome it.

Wish me luck. If I come up with any special tips for fighting insomnia, I'll let you know.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Tacosaurus. Love your web name.

I had trouble sleeping for a long time... kept waking up 2, 3 times a night and had to pee and couldn't get back to sleep. Two weeks ago it changed for the better. Every night since then I have slept straight through, no waking up during the night, and only have to pee once when I do wake up, after 8 to 10 hours sleep. I'm not sure why I am sleeping so much better now except I think it is because I don't fight sleep. I try to let my thoughts relax an hour before bedtime and have a cup of hot milk just before going to bed. I do some deep breathing and if my mind is too active, turn my thoughts on to something peaceful like being on a wilderness canoe trip in Canada which I just loved years ago.

Keep doing the SEProgram and I am confident it will help you. Do a half hour of journaling each day, but preferably not before bedtime or it may be stressful. You soon will be sleeping better. But don't worry about losing some sleep. That just makes it harder to sleep.

3. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

It's funny you mentioned this. I was about to make a post about my own insomnia. I have been on the SEP a little over 3 weeks. I am making good progress, but since starting I have 2-4 nights a week where I wake up exactly at 3:15am. Sometimes the day after I am very tired, but some days I am just fine. The only thing I know is I wake up, then start thinking and my pain returns. I have increased my activity (weight training and conditioning). I really don't see a correlation, but who knows????
    I hope you get it under control, and if you have any tips, feel free to share.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

5. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Hey Andy,
    I just read this somewhere a few weeks ago. Thanks

6. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

I've never had itching and burning sensations while trying to sleep, but I have had insomnia and I know it's not fun. Most all chronic insomnia has a psychological root and is usually enforced with negative behavior that keeps it going. Some of the tips I would offer are this:

*If you can't sleep, don't lie in bed. Get up for awhile and try again later. otherwise you start to associate your bed in a negative way. Some people recommend reading. You can also try sleeping on the couch, a different location sometimes helps.
    *Don't let lack of sleep stop you from living your life. Go on about your daily life even if you didn't get a good nights rest. When we give into insomnia we are feeding it. The idea is to starve insomnia.
    *Good sleep hygiene helps. Have a period to unwind before bedtime, and stay away from tv\monitor screens as the blue light can delay sleep. There are a number of books on this topic you might want to look at.
    *Stop focusing so much on your sleep. Sleep is one of those things that the more you want it, the less you get. It's not easy to stop obsessing about it at first, but as with everything the more you practice the better you get.
    *Reduces the stresses in your life, that includes worrying about insomnia
    *Don't "try" to sleep, just let it happen naturally.
    *Have patience, change doesn't happen over night. You are wound up like a ball of string, it will take time to unravel.

Sleep is nothing to get anxious about. You would be surprised just how well you can function on little sleep. Some people like myself are just naturally short sleepers and don't need as much either. Also get rid of the myth that you need 8 hours of sleep or the notion of perfect sleep. Nothing is perfect. In fact we naturally wake up several times during the night, we just don't always remember it. Good luck.

giantsfan likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Andy, thanks for that on the history of sleep. A funny thing... I''ve been sleeping all night for 8 o 10 hours without waking up but last night I woke up twice. But it was worth it... I am a writer and often get ideas in my sleep. Last night I woke up with a new approach for a book I'm writing and it was sensational. Now I'm revising my manuscript and think it will be a lot better book. It's a ton more work, but worth it.

I usually have trouble sleeping if my mind is too active. But it can work for me, too.

I just read that George Clooney says he regularly wake up five times a night. Gads! And he's a millionaire many times over. He also has a lot of back pain. I bet he's got TMS.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over insomnia.

8. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I've fought insomnia for most of my adult life. I've read numerous articles and suggestions, and for the past couple of months, I'm really sleeping better. Here's what helped for me.
    1. I finally closed the bedroom door to keep that cat out of the bedroom at night. No more waking up every time she bounds onto the bed!
    2. I go to bed about a half hour later than I used to.
    3. I restrict "screen time"--stopping at least an hour before I retire.

Of course, it helps that I work with middle schoolers, and I'm often exhausted at the end of the day! Summers are more difficult.