1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Norman Dodge - The brains way of healing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by thecomputer, Jul 18, 2017.

1. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

It's a great book and the first chapter deals with pain. Here's a link to a recent forum post offering an article by Michael Moskovitz who features in that chapter.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/article-to-give-you-hope.16478/ (Article to give you hope)

There's no conflict with TMS. It's simply another insight into the wonderful world of neuroscience.

Plum x

3. thecomputer

Hi Plum

That article is where I saw the book and why I asked

Maybe I'll give it a read then, it sounds interesting

Thanks

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Honestly though I'd only buy it if you're interested in the field. If your primary goal is recovering from TMS you're best served by this forum. Everything you need to know to heal is here.

5. thecomputer

I am mostly interested in the subject, but of course also would like to heal. Im not imagining it will be some new magic bullet, but everything helps.

6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I love reading about neuroscience and would love to have studied it at university but the first ever course (in the UK) was made available the year after I'd taken my more arty and humanities based A levels. I didn't fancy studying the requisite science subjects to gain a place so it was a psychology degree for me but that fascination endured.

I regard neuropsychology books as 'owners manuals' for the brain. One thing I really like about this Doidge book is his introduction where he explains that the brain is a sensual organ. As with so much reading in this area, you go 'of course!'.

I hope you enjoy it.

7. thecomputer

Yeah I have never had much of an interested before but recently more so.

A sensual organ, sounds interesting! My brain doesnt feel very sensual at the moment :)

8. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Picked this book up a year ago funnily enough before I discovered Sarnos work.

It started off good but got a bit to technical for me. The article that plum links above pretty much sums up the chapter on pain.

Might have to give the book another spin personally now I have a better grasp of knowledge.

9. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

In a nutshell, he used visualization to get rid of pain. I think it can be any visualization and the reason is that the same areas in your brain that are used for reading, concentration, visualization, etc. are also used when you have pain. So the goal is to use those areas in your brain for something different. He visualized his brain going from pain (certain areas lit up) to no pain (nothing is lit up). He has a short video clip online showing the brain in pain and then that pain slowly going away. So that is what he would visualize any time he started to have pain. It took him a while but eventually he had more and more pain free periods.

So it does talk about neural pathways, but I don't recall him addressing anger as an underlying repressed emotion to the pain.

10. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member