1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Article to give you hope

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stradivarius, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. stradivarius

stradivarius Peer Supporter

Have found another article about Michael Moskovitz's method for curing chronic pain which has really given me hope. Near the end of the article it mentions people with actual physical damage who have had improvements in their pain levels. This could give hope to TMSers that their pain can be fully cured.

I hope the administrators don't mind me posting this as it is about a slightly different approach from the TMS approach, however, there are overlaps with this approach and the TMS approach, plus I know other members find other approaches helpful eg. Claire Weekes' work etc. and I am sure it will give people more confidence in knowing that they can overcome their pain.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/health-science/training-the-brain-to-beat-pain/news-story/45ad7b7daaaf3c4bbbab6c76b0190ac7 (Nocookies)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Dahlia, she333, plum and 1 other person like this.
  2. mouser

mouser Peer Supporter

Thanks! I love hearing about how the brain works.

3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Don't worry. Neuroscience is welcomed with open arms. Thanks so much for the link.

stradivarius likes this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, that's pretty amazing. I seem many of the same elements that we use here. Education, overcoming fear, resuming physical activities, and taking one's life back. It's amazing how many ways people achieve success.
    Hi, @stradivarius, there's nothing to worry about :). This is a free-speech forum in that as long as you follow the forum rules (in the Help tab, near the top), you're all set. The rules basically boil down to being polite and constructive - acting the way that mothers try to teach their children to act.

stradivarius and plum like this.
  5. stradivarius

stradivarius Peer Supporter

Thanks Mouser, Plum and Forest for your comments and reassurance.

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

One of the most important things in TMS healing, I think, is finding a source of real joy in one's life. No matter what else is going on, we can all open ourselves to that, and doing so can change everything.

Many people advocate this type of thing, including Steve Ozanich, who says it particularly eloquently. Somewhere he wrote, "As I've said the top mistake I see is people trying to heal. They should be going out to get happy, to connect, to have fun, to invigorate their curiosity again, to feel for someone else, to expand instead of contracting. To relax in love."

There is a deep idea here - we don't become happy by focusing on what makes us unhappy. We become happy by focusing on what makes us happy.

I sometimes illustrate this concept with the two wolves story:
    [​IMG]

Feed the happy emotions, not the ones that feed into your reservoir of fear and rage!

I think that this fits into the idea of competitive neuroplasticity very nicely. We can't beat our fear/rage/pain by focusing on it. We can only beat it by focusing on other things, whether those are the visualizations that cured people in the article or simply the things that bring us joy.

Eugene, Ellen, Lainey and 1 other person like this.