1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Noooooo, TMS back after 2 years

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Pingman, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Well I am having what I believe are TMS symptoms again after 2 years of beating my initial battle. Back in late 2013 - March 2014 I started having twitches and jolts in my legs and feet. I had convinced myself that I had MS after resorting back to Dr. Google. The pain was so real that I concluded i must have MS. After some help from this forum I was able to see the light and move away from the MS diagnosis after a clear bill of health from my Dr. The pain then moved to the bottoms of my feet. It felt like I was walking on coarse sand without shoes on. That went away and it moved to my eye sight. Finally it all went away and I gained better perspective on handling my worries and concerns.

In Nov. of this year I came down with Pneumonia and due to a miss by my GP, I developed fluid in the lung and had an 8 day hospital stay with lung surgery to boot. I guess ever since then I have been a little more hypersensitive about body checking. In all, I have been mentally ok in spite of a major surgery at 38.

I have noticed though that some old tricks are popping up. All of a sudden, the same pain in the balls of my foot are coming back that I had back in 2013. For some reason my mind goes to the extreme, thinking of having this pain for a long duration of my life. I am not diabetic but I worry it might be a sort of nerve issue. I have no real reason to think this way.

I wonder what stressor TMS is masking as this foot pain.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I try to avoid doctor visits but you might consider getting a checkup, to be certain there is nothing structural causing your foot pain, I doubt very much
    there is, and suspect it is TMS, from some current emotional stress. You might do the Structured Educational Program to learn what that might be, or just do some journaling about what is going on now in your life. It might be triggering past emotions that caused your earlier pain.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Pingman,
    You might inquire into the hospital stay and the lung surgery. We need air to survive. You may have triggered some deep fears of death, the subject that Dr. Sarno has said is one of the big scary ghosts lurking down deep.
    Andy B

4. Andy Bayliss

Also, Pingman, you might just simply accept that you are human and subject to TMS, sort of matter-of-factly. Then begin some action, in a fairly relaxed way (not too fearful and "fixing") like reading some Dr. Sarno material every day, using the 12 reminders, or embarking on the Recovery Program or SEP. Dr. Sarno had many examples of TMS "coming back." If you take a relaxed view about it, that you already had great success with it earlier, and you can again ---this may help.

5. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

I always seem to come back to the same concern when TMS hits me. I always worry about feeling the pain ongoing for the remainder of my life and it impacting the quality of life. That is how my TMS manifests itself as well. Its always a pain that I can associate to a condition that might debilitate me long term.

There is a reason why it picks these sort of pains for me. I need to figure out what it is masking.

6. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

As someone who lives with some chronic issues, my hardest health-related tasks revolve around TMS. What issues are TMS? What ones are structural in origin? I now tend to believe that most things are TMS, but would hate to miss something big going on, since I have lupus, which can attack any organ in the body.
    Ah, discernment! It's never easy.

7. Andy Bayliss

You know, Pingman that some of Dr. Sarno's relapse cases were caused by "fear of a relapse!" So it might be that simple. You see the fear of relapse, as you already do, as the underlying cause. So you see it, and unmask it for what it is. A repetitive fear, which is so enraging, or scary, or whatever that you don't want to feel all of what's wrapped up in it. It may be that increasing your skills with working with anxiety and fear is needed?

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/understanding-and-overcoming-fear.8574/

Alan's program is great for working with fear also. Have you done it?

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program