1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Nocturnal Itching

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cambocan, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Cambocan

Cambocan Newcomer

Hi everyone,

I've had unexplained nocturnal itching for over a decade. I'll be trying to sleep and then random itches will start spreading throughout my body. The itching does not feel like it's caused by something external but rather by my own nervous system. The sensations range from pins and needles, to burning, to throbbing, to extreme itchiness. It is not especially painful but it causes me to lose lots of sleep. This usually happens once or twice a week but sometimes it will occur for multiple consecutive nights.

I am pretty sure my symptoms are TMS related. Doctors have not been able to determine an organic cause. They will sometimes suggest it's related to stress and anxiety but the attacks don't seem to come at times when I feel particularly stressed out. This makes me think it's likely related to unconscious emotions.

I've been known about TMS since 2008 and have used it to cure tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. I've never gone through the entire structured program because usually my symptoms abate within a week or two and I get on to more productive things. I hope that's the case this time around, I would love to finally conquer these annoying itches!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Ah yes - this is everyone's hope - I totally get it, and I can't even tell you how common this is, because we see people saying essentially the same thing ALL the time. It's been really noticeably frequent lately, which I think is a function of serious world and societal dysfunction catching up to people and destroying their equanimity - along with the fact that winter/post-holiday distress is kind of an annual thing in the northern hemisphere.

Anyway, it's common for brand-new symptoms to be relieved via the "knowledge" cure by simply revisiting a favorite mindbody book or resource. However, a symptom that has been a part of your life for over a decade is clearly the one that your brain holds onto as a backup - it's the one that's always there to keep you slightly anxious and on edge, and your brain can always turn up the dial when needed. I'll bet this itching disappeared when you had more disturbing symptoms, and it sounds like it's often just mild enough to dismiss easily for periods of time, or to completely forget about during the day.

It's not like I have ANY experience whatsoever with this whole phenomenon.... :hilarious:

If you want a whole lot more control over this than you've had in the past - it's time to make a commitment and really do the work.