1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nicholas' Success Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Nicholas34, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Nicholas34

Nicholas34 New Member

Sure thing, SSG. It was all over Skype. It was expensive but nothing compared to the medical bills I’ve racked up, and fortunately it only took about 7 sessions. I read the first couple hundred pages of The Great Pain Deception, that book was an eye-opener. If that guy can overcome the enormous challenges he encountered, believe me, anyone can. It will instill confidence
    By straight line, I mean you will have confidence that it’s TMS, you might even be sure of it. You’ll feel great, But some new symptom (or some twist on an old symptom) will pop up and your mind will really really press hard on you to believe it’s some structural defect. That you’re different. That’s where it helps to have a counselor show you what is typically the flaw in that reasoning, it’s usually there, you just need to look for it.
    You mentioned you are fearful the next day will not be as good. That is driving the pain to come back. I had the same problem. You need to let go of the fear. As Alan Gordon says, it can no longer be about whether you have a good walk or a bad walk, but how little you care. Your fear is feeding the pain. Maybe the single biggest thing I did was change my response to it. If I had a good day and I started feeling fearful the next day would not be as good, I caught myself, and reminded myself I could care less. The less you care, the less pain you’ll feel. And one day you wake up and it’s gone. Keep at it!

Laudisco, SSG and Ellen like this.
  2. SSG

SSG Peer Supporter

Great suggestions! I love the idea of "I couldn't care less." I will tell myself that often. I have also already tried implementing the "laughing" approach when I feel the pain flare up. I'm not sure I've heard of The Great Pain Deception...I will definitely look in to it.

Thanks again for being such a support. I feel like many of our thoughts/fears about the pain are (or in your case, "were") similar. I will stop bugging you with questions...for now. :)

Much appreciated!
    Sarah

3. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

Thanks for your story.. very inspiring for people like me.. I was also diagnosed with RSI first then fibromyalgia.. Initially it started in the wrist and arms then to upper back and slightly in the neck.. Your story will help me a lot.. Thanks again

4. Nicholas34

Nicholas34 New Member

No trouble at all, Sarah. Sorry for the delay, I’ve been traveling. Hope you’re making some progress!

SSG likes this.
  5. Nicholas34

Nicholas34 New Member

Glad to hear it, Raj!

6. speedysel

speedysel Peer Supporter

Nicholas, great story and very inspiring. It is rather incredible what symptoms the brain comes up with to distract us. I am certainly shocked about what mine has come up with. You´ve reminded me that I really need to persevere with the mindfulness meditation as well. Take care.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a really good exchange of posts.
    I agree with telling ourself "I couldn't care less" when pain or other downers come up.
    I just laugh them away.