1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Newbie - Pelvic Pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jennifer_K, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Jennifer_K

Jennifer_K Peer Supporter

Hi there! I have been reading many threads here and so far have found this site very helpful - thanks to all of you who have contributed your experience.

I have been experiencing pelvic pain. It started in the buttock as a burning sensation. Xrays and a CT have confirmed there is nothing structurally wrong. I had a piriformis injection, which stopped the buttock pain, but the pelvic pain became severe - burning in the genital region as well as crampy feelings in the pelvis that almost felt menstrual related and a sensation of having a bladder infection that just won't go away (urine test confirm no infection).

These symptoms were very alarming to me and I went straight to Google and a forum focused on the Pudendal Nerve. This message board literally terrified me. My symptoms got so much worse after reading it! I became convinced this was what I had and very depressed. Thankfully, I read a thread on that board from someone who recovered using a TMS protocol and that person lead me to Sarno's work.

I dove into Sarno's books - Mindbody Prescription and Healing Back Pain. I fit many of the criteria for TMS. I started to journal, meditate, and I sought out a new therapist after mine suggested medical marijuana was the answer. I also started using Dr Shubiner's Educational Program. I had many epiphanies over the next few weeks and my pain decreased by 50%. I was feeling good and confident that I was on the right track. I had a few setbacks where the pain would come back strong, but I could easily relate each one to stress and emotional causes.

Then my tooth began to hurt ... actually my gums. I had an abscess. I have a severe phobia of the dentist. But I have to go because my mouth is killing me. He confirms the abscess. He pokes and prods a bit, but no real pain involved in the exam. Sill, I am anxious as ever, and it was an hour trip and I did a lot of sitting (trigger for pelvic pain). My periodontist prescribed antibiotic and recommended surgery, and I reluctantly scheduled the surgery, which fired up my nerves even more (impending doom). The pain has gradually returned full force since this appointment and since I am now dreading this surgery in 4 weeks.

My question is this ... do I cancel this surgery and get my TMS under control and learn more about it, or do I face this fear and just do the surgery. I feel like my inner child and inner parent are in a boxing match!

Inner child - I don't want this surgery. I'm scared! What if what if what if!
    Inner parent - I should get this surgery. I shouldn't be fearful. I should I should I should!

Another part of me is saying, Give yourself a break. This has been a trying 4 months. You've finally found something that is helping, so why not let it help, and learn more about what is causing these symptoms, and develop the tools and confidence to deal with life's situations. In other words, put off the surgery for now. Work on the psychological stuff. Be kind to yourself. Give yourself a break. Stop beating yourself up over this. You don't have to be perfect or better all at once. One day at a time. One moment at a time.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

You're undecided about getting the dental surgery and that causes emotional stress and pain. I'd say that if you can live with the dental pain, postpone the surgery and focus on TMS. Discover he emotions causing most if not all of your pain.
    Have you finished Dr. Schubiner's program? I suggest you do finish it, then take the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site. It can lead you to discover any repressed emotions or personality traits that cause pain, such as perfectionism and a "goodism" personality.

Jennifer_K likes this.
  3. Jennifer_K

Jennifer_K Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt!

I'm not having the dental pain anymore. The antibiotics helped. I have also wondered if the dental flare up was TMS? Kinda strange, but ALL my other pain symptoms disappeared when the dental pain started.

I am still doing Dr Schubiner's Program. Will definitely check out SEP once I've completed it.

Appreciate your feedback. :)

4. David88

David88 Well known member

Your other pain symptoms were TMS. They stopped because you had something else to focus on, the dental pain, so they weren't needed. The dental plan might have been TMS too, but since it responded to the antibiotic it may have been from the abscess itself.

You're on the right track and asking the right questions.

Jennifer_K likes this.
  5. Betsy4ever

Betsy4ever New Member

Jenni emotions is all you to control and things will change. TMS pain will trick you on the way, i wish you all the success.

Jennifer_K likes this.
  6. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

If it's an abscess, truly a tooth that has a dying nerve, then the antibiotic is temporary relief because it took down the infection, which will return once the antibiotic is out of your system.
    I don't understand why you need surgery for a regular abscess. A root canal would be the common treatment.
    Have your dentist show you on the x-ray. Ask questions. It sounds like you aren't convinced of what they are telling you. I think an infection in your mouth and face should not be put on pause. But, be certain of the diagnosis.
    If it's TMS, it will go away.

Wishing you all the best.

Jennifer_K likes this.