1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New User - Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AndyG., May 5, 2015.

1. AndyG.

AndyG. New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new here to the forum and I'm a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to begin with my TMS therapy.

After reading "Healing Back Pain" & "The Mindbody Prescription", they helped me tremendously. I was doing great for the past few months with no pain. I even felt a little twinge come on a couple of times, and managed to make it go away before any spasms happened by convincing myself it was just stress or anger.

Recently I got into running and I had my first race on the 1st of May. I was doing simple stretches beforehand like always and then "BAM" I felt the same twinge, but was unsuccessful this time, so I've been dealing with back spasms for the past few days. I came close to giving up, but I managed to do my race and finished well, but I've been dealing with the worst bout of back pain since.

Luckily I came across this forum and found a whole community of others with TMS. I'm hoping to get some structure on where and how to start with some therapy. Books suggestions would be great too. There's so much information here, so I'm not sure where to begin.

Cheers,

Andy

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Andy. Welcome to the TMS healing club.
    The best way to begin TMS healing is to start the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum at the web site.
    It will take you through daily short sessions that help you understand TMS and the steps to take to heal.

Steve Ozanich's book, THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION is one of the best on what causes TMS and his healing from it.
    I also would like to plug my book with fellow TMSer Eric Watson, GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN.
    It is not heavy on religion but we believe that by adding faith to the TMS MindBody concept helps heal.

Used cheap copies of the paperback books and kindle editions are at www.amazon.com.com

In your journey toward TMS healing, it helps to believe 100 percent that your pain is from TMS,
    repressed emotions and/or a perfectionist and "goodist" personality, wanting everyone to like you all the time.
    We can overdo that.

As you work on TMS, two things help a lot: Deep breathing is one. Another I like a lot is laughing.
    Laughter sends healing forces to our body and mind. Just pretend something is funny and laugh even
    just a minute or less. It really relieves pain and other TMS symptoms.

3. AndyG.

AndyG. New Member

Hi Walt,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I read the success story from Day 1 and watched the video with John Stossel . This will be very helpful for me in my healing.

I just started another book called "The Relaxation Response", which talks about deep breathing and meditation as a form of therapy for high blood pressure. This will go very well with the information in the other books that you mentioned as well. I also came across "Heal Your Body", by Louise L Hay. I'll start reading that as well.

I look forward to my journey here with you all.

Cheers,

Andy