1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New to TMS - chronic migraine

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Edp35, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Edp35

Edp35 Newcomer

Hi

I have had migraines since childhood but in the last 10 years they are now chronic, having had 17 in the last month. I am really struggling having a 4 year old daughter, wife and full time job to keep going. I have had countless prescriptions, botox, ocipital nerf block etc.

I have just come across the curable app and this forum, wish i had found it years ago!

There seem to be a number of exercises from meditation, to writing down present and past stressful moments and more. Is there a prefered path for those with migraines as a starting point?

Also i only recently found out i have aphantasia, not sure if i need to visualise things to help progess with TMS, so painful moments such as my father passing away or even what he looks like i cant recall.

Appreciate any advice on how to start out, the stories by people like Ellen, Suzanne share so many parallels and really inspire me to give TMS a try.

Many thanks

James

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi James,

Welcome to the Forum!

There is no special path for people with migraines. All TMS is treated the same. You mentioned my name, so I assume you have read my Success Story. I list in it everything I did to rid myself of migraines, which like you I had since childhood and they had become chronic. Recovery is possible! You are in the right place. Just be patient, persistent, and consistent in practicing TMS healing techniques.

We have a couple of free programs here on the wiki, the Structured Education Program and Alan Gordon's Recovery Program. Check those out. I haven't tried the Curable app but have heard good things about it.

Keep us informed in how you're doing and feel free to ask questions at any time. We're all here to support one another.

Best wishes on your recovery journey......

3. Edp35

Edp35 Newcomer

Thanks Ellen :)

Yes I did read your success story, there seem to be a number of options which is fantastic in terms of keeping hopeful that there is still something to try, i.e. mindfulness, distraction, capturing painful memories etc, hence just trying to find a good starting point as I do feel pressured to fix this asap, but also understand that it took you a year and given how long I have had migraines that is a very small amount of time in the long term, obviously the time frame will be smaller/larger for different people.

I have read through most of Alan Gordon's recovery program, that's very helpful. I will check out the structured education program as well thanks for that, from a first glance that looks like the direction I need, a 6 week trial with objectives each day, I will run that alongside curable and see how it goes

I live in the UK, can anyone let me know where I can get hold of a copy of unlearn your pain please. Only Amazon seems the option at the moment, it seems paperback is better as it includes a CD? so I should avoid the kindle edition?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Ellen likes this.
  4. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

I ordered Unlearn your Pain from Dr. Shubiner's website and it came with a password to access the meditations online now (not a CD). His web site is www.unlearnyourpain.com