1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New to TMS, but not pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by untangledweb, May 16, 2018.

1. untangledweb

untangledweb Peer Supporter

Hi,
    I can't believe that in my weird symptomatic history, no one has ever mentioned TMS. I've been through years of negative test results, but I'm 55 yrs old. You would think by now, some doctor, and I have more than one, would have made the connection. All they have done is prescribed me round after round of different meds.
    I was watching an interview with Nick Ortner on YouTube and the person interviewing him mentioned Dr Sarno. Down the rabbit hole I went and found him and Steve Ozanich. WOW! what a revelation! It really has all been in my head...in a way. Then I found this site and started reading about peoples recoveries by symptom. A lady was talking about her daughters migraines. She said that after that symptom went away, her body temperature started randomly dropping where she would be shivering and her teeth would chatter. I knew without a doubt that I had finally....finally come across something BIG!
    Badly abusive childhood, "growing pains", passing out starting at about age 12, thyroid issues, back and neck pain, TMJ, migraines, bilateral frozen shoulder, trigeminal neuralgia, CRPS....blah blah.
    It was all the perfect storm.
    I've been doing myofacial work and EFT and after reading a few success stories, went to talk with a psychotherapist I really like. I told her about TMS and she's going to work with me.
    What am I missing?? I'm open to suggestions. I welcome them. Oh, I started journaling today. I'm not a big journaling person, but I know how beneficial it can be.
    Thank you so much for letting me ramble on. I'm just so happy to be talking with people who "get it". I've felt like I was loosing my mind.

birder and HattieNC like this.
  2. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Welcome, I think you are at the right place! You read already a lot. If you are looking for a regular program to follow you could try Alan Gordon's pain recovery program (see top of the page) or the program by Dr. Schubiner (Unlearn your pain, its a book). I can also recommend to listen to Claire Weekes (you find her on Youtube). I found it most important in the beginning to learn self-soothing. I am still not good at it, but getting better.
    I wish you a good start! And you are welcome to ramble whenever you feel like it :)

untangledweb likes this.
  3. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Hello untangled...Agree with Time2be that you have found a good place to be. Lots of info and lots of participants.

I found journaling helpful, but know that others do not. Don't spend a lot of time trying to write the perfect script, just let 'whatever' spew out onto the paper. After you are done you can just tear it up. Some keep their journals, I did, once upon a time, but decided to finally rip them up. Now, when I journal I just rip it up. Feels good to let that go. I find no need to read it again, or keep it for posterity. You can also listen to Dr. Sarno on youtube. There is one youtube that is about 3hours long. I found it helpful. Actually listened to this a couple of times. Found it to be different than just reading. Just a different way of incorporating the TMS axioms into my psyche. I also found it helpful to search (on this wiki) for the symptoms I am/was having. Type your symptom(s) into the search bar and it will give you the entries of many others who have had similar concerns. Play around with this to get the most out of your search.

I'm sure there are many other suggestions, but just know you have found a good site to share and get ideas.
    Best of luck
    Kindly
    Lainey

untangledweb likes this.
  4. untangledweb

Thank you both. How do you not obsess TMS? I know that I need some patience, but I want results now

5. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

I have had moments of thinking this would/will never end. I also had lots to journal about and spent time each day writing of my fears, anger, and rage over long past and current life circumstances.

My aches and pains were varied and affected my feet, legs, shoulders, back, hips, including sciatica, and arms. I was aching and seemingly there was no end in sight. After about 4 mos of journaling I woke up after a particularly stirring journal entry and my sciatica was GONE. Slowly, after more months the shoulders, arms, feet and legs eased up and those pains are, for the most part, gone. I am still working on the pain in my right hip and thigh, but am having some progress and feel good about this.

Now I am more relaxed about the process of healing, try to take time each day to meditate, write a little (but not as intensely as in the beginning) read about healing with TMS, and do my life as best I can. (That is, get out of the house, meet friends, etc). I know that I am still engaged in some negative thought processes that feed the TMS.. I don't look to doctors for help, although I have had a diagnoses regarding my back and hip that is scary to some. I FULLY believe that the pain I feel is the result of my brain trying to help me not create other, possibly more emotional problems. My brain is just trying to help. Misguided as it may be.

So, my story, is not the quick fix of some, but I have made progress. Learn to be patient with yourself. Note your successes and don't berate yourself for not healing instantly. Some people do, but many more do not.

Kindly
    Lainey

karinabrown likes this.
  6. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Also,
    I like the pic of your kitty. Very sweet.
    Cats have been a part of my life since I was a wee child.
    Lainey

7. untangledweb

Lainey,
    Thank you for letting me know about your journey. I have read success stories of pain been spontaneously gone by the end of reading a book, just by the unconscious been made conscious. I’m going to have to just relax. That’s something that will definitely be the main thing of my journey.
    My cat Bodhi is spoiled and usually looks pissed off. I guess he’s my therapy cat. I rescued him almost 10 years ago when I was getting ready to go into some intense therapy. I guess it’s time for therapy again.
    Beth

Lainey likes this.
  8. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Beth
    Here is the youtube link with the longer Sarno lecture that you may find helpful. Same stuff that is in his HBP book, but all you need to do is listen.

I think this can be opened. If not just type in the https: info.
    Lainey

9. untangledweb

Thank you love

10. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

welcome! you are not missing a thing! once you get relatively pain free then it's about maintenance... and more maintenance. My body squawks sometimes... and I listen.
    I will say I have way more "feelings" than many folks around me who seem to bop along... but then, they think I'm very calm. It's the work of balancing, balancing and honoring the self.
    Happy you got here!

11. untangledweb

Thank you so much for responding. It’s a journey. I need to remember that.
    btw, my cats name is Bodhi :)

Bodhigirl likes this.
  12. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Haha! My first horse is named Bodhi Jones! He’s 22. And, yeah, people put too much emphasis on arrival instead of process. Arrival is a myth for most.

untangledweb likes this.