1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New to this. Where do i start?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Angela8888, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Angela8888

Angela8888 Newcomer

This is all fascinating as i search for answers to my pain/depression/Hashimotos etc problems. Where do i start with all the books, lectures, doctors etc? Also, this is not to say that we ignore every pain we have and use this to get better? I mean, this broken, infected tooth i have needs to be seen by a dentist?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Most of us start by reading the work of Dr. John Sarno. There are also books and information links all over the site....and Yes, a broken and infected tooth needs to be seen by a Dentist!

Rachel110885 likes this.
  3. Angela8888

Angela8888 Newcomer

Thanks! Was hoping to start with a more recent book using his work with updated current info. Plus Sarno has lots of books-! Need a title. Not good at making decisions

4. mister_burger

mister_burger New Member

For your tooth, please don't wait. I know some people who waited too long and the infection spread. The sooner the better!
    For the books, I suggest "Healing Back Pain", by Dr Sarno. Don't worry about the title , it does go into other ailments, not just back pain. Very easy to read, most people finish it within a week.

The book alone helped me feel less pain. I'm reading "The divided Mind" now, but like many reviewers I find it very more difficult, very analytic. I like it a lot, don't get me wrong but it's not the book I would start with.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Which just goes to show how everyone is different, @Angela8888 ! The only book I read in full by Dr. Sarno was The Divided Mind, and the reason I loved it and still recommend it is:

1. It was Dr. Sarno's last book (and from 2006, there are already aspects of it which are somewhat outdated - but in many ways that's the good news).

2. He goes over his theories very efficiently in the first four chapters. I was already familiar with the power of mind-over-body, so I didn't need to be convinced of that - I DID need to learn about the connection between my symptoms and my emotions. That blew my mind right open.

3. The remaining six chapters of The Divided Mind are written by 5 other MDs and a therapist, which I found inspiring and exciting - my first hint that there was starting to be a movement towards self-healing in the traditional medical community. The only chapter that I found technically overwhelming was the one on "white coat" hypertension - but I got the gist of it, and it was easy to skim over. And I already knew exactly what that doc was talking about, as I had been practicing relaxation techniques every time I knew I would be getting my BP checked - for years before I knew about Dr. Sarno and TMS.

These two disparate responses to your question about "which book", are your first indication of something which you really need to take to heart:
    This work is not linear; There is no one way to do this work; What works for someone else might not speak to you at all.

After you've read Dr. Sarno, my next recommendation is to start doing the Structured Educational Program (SEP). An automatic link should have inserted itself as I typed that :)

You're in the right place to start finding your own path to recovery - good luck!

~Jan