1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New to the forums....my RSI story

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by RichieRich, Apr 21, 2015.

1. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

My name is Rich. I have a very important job has a manager over a construction contractor. I basically sit in front of a computer all day long and have been for over 9 years. It wasn't until December 2014 that things started to fall apart. As soon as my son hit the infamous 3 months, which clinical psychology tells you is when most men tend to finally connect with their kids, I just hit a huge road block.

I literally went from able bodied to limping on my right foot; no rhyme or reason. This is back around Christmas time. It didn't seem like much, but I progressively lost the use of my right foot, and I have to walk and bike to work because I live in another country....then the pain set in. Peroneal tendonitis was the assumption I made based on my expert cyberchondriac sleuthing skills. I limped the entire time I was in Rome on vacation, and was in excruciating pain. I managed the pain with ice on and off for 6 weeks until I heard a pop in my left ankle....no reason at all. Then I was limping on both feet. I caved and went to a physical therapist. Oddly enough, he checked me out and looked at me and said, "you're really flexible; you need to stop all of the crazy stretching and just leave it alone." 2 weeks later I was healed as if I had gotten a wicked cross by a televangelist. I didn't really think much of it.......little did I know I would get a real challenge.

A little about me, I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I've had this for a few years. I've had the virtually every symptom you can have with chronic anxiety. Chest pain, BPPV, dystonia, breathing problems, dizziness, fatigue, you name it I've probably experienced it. I don't take medication because I don't like the side effects, however I do drink to unwind after a hectic day, plus I've been able to manage my anxiety with a book by Paul David entitled, At Last a Life; I just reread it when I start feeling myself slip that one time a year. And I have been reading a lot on the topic of TMS and pain, and am very intrigued.

Back to my challenge that I mentioned. So after my miraculous healing from what I perceived to be tendonitis, I had about a 2 week wonderful grace period, then disaster struck. I'm working at my computer one day, probably not in the most optimal position, and BAM!!!! What felt like lightning, ran from my shoulder down through my arm, and all the way to my hand, leaving my right hand in extreme pain at the forearm extensors and wrist, rendering my arm virtually useless at anything greater than 90 degrees.

Instead of freaking out and quitting work, I just plodded along, albeit still wondering what happened. For the past 2+ months I've been doing physical therapy. Being in the country that I'm in, accessing things like MRIs and such are difficult if there's no indication of a life threatening situation. It's been almost 2 weeks now that I've been largely pain free and am able to go back to work. However, I still get the muscles spasms and my right forearm extensor for my index finger, I swear, seems like it wants to jump out of my forearm.

The physical therapist, also a human movement scientist, has been wonderful. He chalked it up to very tight shoulder and neck muscles on my right side, which corresponds with my pain. He ruled out TOS on the basis that he has significant experience with TOS, and my case was clearly neurological, but not necessarily due TOS issues.

So here I am now, still working. I can basically type all day long provided I squeeze my elbows into my side and take frequent breaks, but I still worry there's something lingering because I still have a lot of neck and trap tension, which starting jogging recently is kind of helping, but now that all of the numbness and tingling is basically gone, I swear my forearm extensor muscles won't leave me alone. They just keep drawing my attention. Can anyone relate to the forearm issue with RSI and/or TMS? By the way, there's a good chance there's nothing structural wrong as I have a 120+psi grip strength in both hands with no pain or tenderness, and have been lifting weights recently with no issues.

I'm sorry for making this so long. I'd appreciate any responses.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Rich. I strongly believe your pain is not structural but TMS from the stresses of being a father.
    That's a load of responsibility. You may need to find a support group of new fathers. Or start one.

The anxieties of fatherhood also may go back to your boyhood and your relations with your father.
    The Structured Educational Program, free at the subforum, can help you with learning about
    journaling and other techniques for healing.

Meanwhile, practice deep breathing and distracting your mind. And be sure to spend time with your son.
    Let him know you love him, even if it hurts. Don't let him know that. The more love you give,
    the more you get in return, and love heals. It's one of the best natural healers.