1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 New to the forum

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by CrystalE, Jan 18, 2017.

1. CrystalE

CrystalE Newcomer

I found this forum yesterday after googling "how to cure my herniated disc." After a few of the success stories I immediately bought Dr. Sarno's book on my phone. I finished it today. I definitely feel like this is my problem but of course my mind is having a hard time throwing out that I have the herniated disc and the doctor already recommended surgery. But at the same time I was have been waiting so long and I am so frustrated with the whole process that I stopped taking all my medication a week ago and the pain is tolerable. My pain is all sciatic pain I actually don't have much pain in my lower back except the muscles are sore as mentioned in the book.

I came to this forum and decided to follow the structured educational program so that I can put this information into action. Because after reading the book my first thought was okay I have this now what do I do. I'm excited to be here and on the way to recovery.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    MindBodyPT likes this.
  2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Crystal,

That's great that you found this community, welcome! It takes time to throw out the idea that the structural issue is causing your pain, I also am here and found TMS due to having back issues, sciatica and disc herniations. As a PT it took me a bit to change my way of thinking about this type of pain but i've found it to be immensely helpful in my recovery. I hope to bring it to many of my clients as well. The SEP will be really helpful to you, i'm currently on day 20 and its going well. It forces you to work through issues in your life and address things you might have been ignoring...instrumental in recovery from TMS. Glad you're here :)

CrystalE likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Crystal. Yes, welcome to this TMS MindBody healing community. You have definitely taken the right nest step by starting the SEProgram. As MindBodyPT replied, it will help you to discover the emotions that are causing your pain. Dr. Sarno says a herniated disc may not even cause pain, so if a doctor said I should undergo surgery, I wouldn't. Give TMS a chance to heal you. I am confident it will. I healed from severe back pain after
    journaling in the SEProgram and realizing I had been repressing anger and other emotions since my parents divorced when I was seven. I also learned to forgive them. Forgiving is one of the best ways of healing.

CrystalE likes this.
  4. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Welcome Crystal to the start of your new life.

CrystalE likes this.
  5. CrystalE

CrystalE Newcomer

Thank you for the comment. I look forward to working through the program. This all started at work so I'm on workmans comp but I don't have another appointment for a month so I have time to get my TMS under control. After reading the article on day 2 I was crying because I do all those things they mentioned. It is actually kind of weird but I feel anxious and scared to go through the program and I'm not sure why but I will do it.

6. CrystalE

CrystalE Newcomer

Thank you for the reply. I am very nervous about the program not sure why. But I am doing it. I really think this is my problem because I don't have constant pain with activities. Some times sitting hurts sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes walking hurts and I can't walk for 10 minutes and other days I can walk for 4 miles. Basically the only option this workmans comp doctor is giving me is surgery. And it has been nearly six months since this started and thankfully workmans comp is taking forever with all paperwork and processes.

7. CrystalE

CrystalE Newcomer

Thank you I am nervous excited.

8. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Crystal,

It's understandable to be nervous! You're probably fed up with the pain and the last thing you want is a surgery. Rest assured it definitely sounds like TMS, especially given how inconsistent your pain is...keep telling yourself that. Don't let any doctor talk you into surgery, some can come across quite forcefully but it's your decision as the patient. Glad you're trying this! Feel free to message me with any questions :)