1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

new symptoms - therapy advice needed

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bernard, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Bernard

Bernard Peer Supporter

Hi there

I've had TMS for 25 yrs. Pains me to write that but its true
    I spent the first 8 yrs in my 20s chasing the dragon of a cure to lower back and leg pain via traditional medical routes. MRI, injections, chiro, physio, acupuncture etc etc

Then i discovered Sarno, things made sense and over a long time i made real progress with the back pain. Never really got completely free of fear but pretty good.

However, for the past 5 yrs i've been really struggling with neck, upper back, arm pain
    Even after all the progress i made before with back issues i'm really stuck and cant seem to shift the neck / arm pain

So my question is about psychotherapy

I'm based in the UK where there are not many TMS savvy therapists. In many ways location is less relevant now we are all socially distant and living on zoom calls though!

I've started to see a regular counsellor here but they don't really seem that interested in the TMS thinking. Just want to explore parental relationships, childhood etc etc

Whilst this is interesting and I'm sure, on many levels, valuable . . . . . . i'm concerned that what i really need is specific help from someone that understands this specific TMS mid body challenge. Helps me work through the fears and challenges me around repression etc etc

Any thoughts much appreciated re psychotherapy and if people think that general therapy is valuable - that its worth getting to the root of 'stuff'
    Or is it better to look for a TMS savvy therapist?

Many thanks in advance

Smiles

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I tried "conventional" therapists, but they were waste of time. Alan Gordon's clinic works over Skype and they seem to be the best in the field of TMS treatment. Hope it helps.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Bernard,

If you're working with a regular therapist, you have to make the connection to the TMS theory. Many have done this, but it is perhaps less easy if your therapist is not so interested in the TMS approach... After every session, write down how what you're learning is connected to inner stress, the identities which attempted to keep you safe as a child, how this comes into your present life, and connect cognitively to symptoms. You might also monitor symptoms during your explorations to notice any changes --increase or decrease.

You should know of Georgie Oldfield's work in your area. This might be a way to get local help. I know everyone is probably distancing these days, so Alan's or other help may be just as good for right now.

Andy